Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Garrison Battalion The Manchester Regiment

themonsstar

Robert Bonner has just published this book

1st Garrison Battalion The Manchester Regiment, India, Singapore, Hong Kong & Siberia

ISBN 978-1-873907-37-5

Fleur de Lys Publishers.

Regrettably, very little has been written about the Garrison Battalions of World War I in post-war regimental histories. Battalions were disbanded within days of returning from service overseas and their four or five year existence was apparently regarded as of little consequence in regimental history. No official records have been kept of the activities of this particular Battalion but unfortunately the author as had access to other sources of information.

A rough diary was kept by Richard Hough,a native of Oldham and a pre-war soldier, who had been one of the originals to join the 24th Manchester's (The Oldham Pals) on its formation in November 1914 and had been the platoon sergeant of 5 platoon, B company. In his diary he describes the journey to India of this unit of middle-aged and medically downgraded men. There were also two prolific letter writer in the ranks of the Battalion and both Harry Allen and James Waterworth took a great deal of interest in their new lives; both wrote detailed letters home to their families. Fortunately, the diary and letters have been kept by their descendants and provided much of the detail on which this history is based.

This books sounds as though it will be a valuable source not only for those interested in the 1st Garrison Battalion The Manchester Regiment, but also those interested in other Garrison Battalions in India, given the lack of information generally.

Other Garrison Battalions sent to India include the 2nd Garrison Battalion, Essex Regiment, the 1st Garrison Battalion, Gordon Highlanders, the 2nd Garrison Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers and 1st Garrison Battalion, Somerset Light Infantry

Cheers

Maureen

• 9 months later...

Maureen,

I am trying to establish where the 1st Garrison Bn Gordon Highlanders were in 1917-18 , I note that the Bn. was on 1 March 1917 : placed under command of 228th Brigade in 28th Division. (Gordon's on this website)

It also says on the 28th Division page.

Hostilities with Bulgaria ceased on 30 September, with the Division by then in the area of Trnovo. The Division was ordered in early November to move to Gallipoli to occupy the Dardanelles Forts. On 14 November 85th Brigade arrived at Constantinople and Divisional HQ was established at Chanak.

No mention of India, do you have anything that refers to time in India for the battalion?

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Maureen, thanks for posting this. Do you have a link to the Indian Army list 1914 please? Info on 3rd Lahore Division at Dalhousie in particular, as I am/we are in search of a soldier called J Cassidy as posted in soldiers and their units by @Cassidy Medals. Regards, Bob.

Edited by Bob Davies
to add a name

I have found them here :-) Regards, Bob. https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Indian_Army_List_online