The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battleground Europe series look-ups please

Jim Hastings

Good afternoon all,

I am looking to buy the Battleground Europe editions that cover the involvement of the 1st Division, and to that end I have already had for a few years the Aubers Ridge edition by Edward Hancock and the Loos-Hill 70 edition by Andrew Rawson. I would appreciate it if any Forum members with Battleground Europe editions could have a quick browse through them please, and let me know if 1st Division is given coverage (rather than just mentioned in passing) in any of them. 1st Div spent much of 1917 training for amphibious operations, so did not take part in Arras, Cambrai and only the very end of 3rd Ypres, so really looking at 1914 (has the new Aisne edition mention of them?), 1916 and 1918 covering editions.

Appreciate any time and effort on my behalf

Many thanks and best wishes

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Aubers Ridge has five page references to 1st Division.

Hill 70 has a whole chapter of twelve pages dedicated to the 1st Division assault.

Thanks very much Yorke, I have those two (the Aubers one is brilliant !!), just wondering if there are any more that have 1st Div content, looks like Graham may have found a couple more thankfully

Cheers

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Jim to be so tardy. The refs in "St Quentin" are very general - "1st Div did this or that ...or they were relieved (28 Sept east of Gricourt) ..." so not very helpful, I think. The same in "Riqueval". Much more detail about individual groups within the Division.

Not very helpful, I fear. If you'd like a sentance or two about specific days (mostly last week of Sept '18) I could copy those for you.

Oh that is a shame, but thank you so, so much for taking the time to look the references up for me, I am very grateful. Hopefully Battleground Europe will have some more titles coming out shortly, have heard there are ones for Ypres 1914 in the pipeline, so hopefully there'll be ones for High Wood '16, Sambre Canal '18 and others (fingers crossed)

Again, really appreciate the time and effort you have taken on my behalf

All the best

Jim

Jim you can look forward to three about Ypres 1914 this year: Langemarck, Menin Road and Messines and I am fairly sure that High Wood will also soon be making an appearance.

Jack

Jim you can look forward to three about Ypres 1914 this year: Langemarck, Menin Road and Messines and I am fairly sure that High Wood will also soon be making an appearance.

Jack

No news about one about Zonnebeke I suppose, which is another very obvious gap in the series?

William

Jack

That is great news Jack, thank you for passing on

Have a good evening, Jim

William

There is plenty about Zonnebeke in the Langemarck book. This trilogy divides the Ypres area into three main sectors, otherwise the project would have become totally unwieldy.

Jack

William

There is plenty about Zonnebeke in the Langemarck book. This trilogy divides the Ypres area into three main sectors, otherwise the project would have become totally unwieldy.

Jack

Great! I look forward to it (I'll be buying them all).

William