Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No 12 Stationary Hospital, St Pol

singin

Good evening

Can any members of the Forum assist with a question posed by a colleague in a local group, whose grandfather died at No. 12 Stationary Hospital at St Pol.

Is it possible to ascertain the exact location of where this hospital was situated and can anyone advise what exists on this site today? The lady is hoping to visit the front in April and would like to visit the site of the hospital.

The Kneelagger

12 Stationary Hospital was stationed on the Racecourse at St Pol from 1 Jun 1916 to 1 Jun 1919.

12 Stationary Hospital was stationed on the Racecourse at St Pol from 1 Jun 1916 to 1 Jun 1919.

Does this come from the CWGC Cemetery information, or is there another source which shows it (e.g. the unit war diary)? I know that the CWGC states that it was on the race-course during the later period, but can't confirm that there was ever one at St. Pol. As the hospital was originally on the racecourse at Rouen until the end of June 1916, could it be an error by the CWGC getting the hospital site muddled with the former one in Rouen? St. Pol (sur Ternoise) seems an unlikely spot for a racecourse at the turn of the 20th century.

Sue

Sue

There are several refs to this on the web,obvious that a few are from the same source and some not so obvious. WD may have to be a tie-breaker,WO95/4103.

Yes, I ask because the person referred to in the original post contacted me with the question, and it just seemed rather a coincidence. I had a look at the web, and most of the references do seem to go back to that CWGC entry. I'll have a look at the diary next time I'm at TNA.

Sue

• Admin

I had the same inquiry as Sue, I agree that it is unikely that there would have been a racecourse. There is a car race track near St Pol these days.

Michelle

Re No 12 Stationary hospital

Sorry if I have confused anybody with my message going to the wrong place. This is the first time I have used this site and I haven't got the hang of it yet.

Val

Hi

This is the ref for the 12ths War Diary at Kew WO 95/4103 , I have been able from the war diaries to trace the location of 2 sites for the 41st Stationary Hospital that my great grandad served in through these. Although sometimes only the surrounding area is described once you cross check these with the local area it sometimes suddenly opens up answers.

Stu

I think Val has already seen this photo, but just to get some idea of what 12 Stationary Hospital, St. Pol, looked like, this is winter, 1917. [image courtesy of the IWM Q4723]

Sue

post-416-0-56517100-1390309695_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input on this and the photo which will be of interest.

Sue - The lady is not travelling to France until April, so any update from your check in the TNA would be appreciated.

Once again -Thank you all

John Ellis

• 3 years later...

Would anyone have this diary, or be able to advise if it lists admittance / deaths please?

Looking into Walter Boley who died there 30/10/1918, reportedly form Spanish Flu.