Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Munitions Works in Middlesex

Guest Hill 60

Some information about the Hayes factory here - don't think the link has been posted already

Hayes Factory

Unfortunately the article directed to above seems to have been written by someone with a loose command of the English language and would be improved by an editor. In particular,

"take a shortcut across the grass. “If we had tried, it was immediately been dismissed because it was very dangerous if there hung some gravel lay by your shoes.”

Using a rope hoisting four girls now a massive stamp, called a hammer up in the upper part of the machine 20 auction was the maximum allowed. A mark of “proper” indicating how far down it was suggested, so created the necessary space for fire tube.

Sometimes five strokes enough, other times the 20th This was not always enough, then grenade was discarded. The number of necessary hammer depended amatolblandingens consistency.

Press machine came on 23 October 1917 to cost Mabel Lethbridge one leg, besides a large number of casualties in a short period also surveyed.

The first January 1918 The Times could announce that Mabel Lethbridge was awarded the Order of the British Empire for courage and for the admirable example of an explosion, which she lost one leg and was fatally wounded. As an aside she was not fatally wounded as the article goes on to show that she sought damages for the loss of her leg.

I am not taking issue with the article nor with the author but it would be better to read if it was in fluent English rather than a translation-type one.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi there, I've just found this old thread & I'm looking for some similar information.

Does anybody know where the munitions factory was in Southall please - during the second world war? I am finding information about the one in Hayes on Google; so wondering if the Hayes one might have been the nearest one to Southall?

Sorry, I realise this forum is more about the first world war.

Thanks in advance. 😊

DeeJay

There was a Royal Ordnance Factory in Southall during WW2, it was a Small Arms Ammunition filling factory. It was authorised in June 1940 and was in full production by February 1941..

Sorry I don't know its location. I have an old map reference of TQ 1209 for it.

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Added text

• 2 months later...
On 13/02/2012 at 21:29, GOGOG said:

Regret to say that there was a problem with the "Middlesex.net" server and my article about the Hayes Filling Factory No. 7 was not available for a few weeks.

But it can now be found on the following external link:

http://middx.net/art...s/munitions.htm

Mike

A bit late to the party here but thanks for the article. My paternal Nan, who lived in Bankside, Southall, worked at the Hayes Filling Factory in WW1.

She lost both her brothers in the war & felt she was ‘doing her bit’.