Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W.L.R.F.A...research assistance needed..thanx

pride of our alley

My Great Grandad (from Preston, Lancs,) is down on my Nanana's birth cert in 1916 as being in the WLRFA..I found his medal index card and it stated that he had he was gunner in the RFA (TF) and that he had received the Victory and the British medal...I hope that someone will be able to point me in the right direction regarding research on the movements of the West Lancs division during WW1.....I can find no service record for him even though I have his regtl. nos of 2241 and 680714....Does this mean that not all soldiers had service records?...Many thanks in advance for your time..Bee...x

....Does this mean that not all soldiers had service records? x

Bee:

No--unfortunately, a large percentage of the service records were destroyed by German bombing during WWII.

Chris

Bee:

No--unfortunately, a large percentage of the service records were destroyed by German bombing during WWII.

Chris

Thanx for that Chris..best wishes..Bee

Bee,

Have a look at the long, long trail - link on the top left of this page - lots of stuff on there :-)

Also if you have acess to Ancestry (most libiarys do), see if there are any pension papers for him

Happy hunting

Grant

His number (680714) indicates that he was serving with the 2nd West Lancashire Brigade, RFA TF in early 1917 when the six-digit Territorial Force numbers were assigned. The 2nd West Lancashire Brigade, RFA TF supplied to RFA brigades: (1) 276th (2nd West Lancs) Brigade RFA TF that went to France and Flanders with the 55th Division on 1 October 1915; and the 286th (2nd West Lancs) Brigade RFA TF that went to France and Flanders with the 57th Division on 6 February 1917. As Joseph Smith only was eligible for the British War Medal and Victory Medal he either went to France and Flanders with 286th Brigade, RFA TF or was a 1916-1918 replacement for 276th Brigade, RFA TF.

His number (680714) indicates that he was serving with the 2nd West Lancashire Brigade, RFA TF in early 1917 when the six-digit Territorial Force numbers were assigned. The 2nd West Lancashire Brigade, RFA TF supplied to RFA brigades: (1) 276th (2nd West Lancs) Brigade RFA TF that went to France and Flanders with the 55th Division on 1 October 1915; and the 286th (2nd West Lancs) Brigade RFA TF that went to France and Flanders with the 57th Division on 6 February 1917. As Joseph Smith only was eligible for the British War Medal and Victory Medal he either went to France and Flanders with 286th Brigade, RFA TF or was a 1916-1918 replacement for 276th Brigade, RFA TF.

Thankyou so very, very much..I really do appreciate you posting this reply...This is so helpful to me..Take care and best wishes..Bee..x

Bee,

Have a look at the long, long trail - link on the top left of this page - lots of stuff on there :-)

Also if you have acess to Ancestry (most libiarys do), see if there are any pension papers for him

Happy hunting

Grant

Thanks for the helpful advice Grant..kind regards..Bee..x