Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loos

colin12

Just found out that that my Grandfather was with the 2nd Guards and was mortally wounded on 28th September when they attacked PUITS 14bis, can any Pals throw some light on what and where this is.

Thanks

Colin

Colin

Just a guess, but I think that as Loos is a mining area, adorned with with slag heaps and winding gear, Pit 14bis might be a mine - of the underground extraction of minerals type.

Cheers

Gareth

Puit is indeed mine Garath, so you cant be far wrong, but most probably all right.

L.

As mentioned above, PUITS 14bis was a pit head. It was situated about 1500 yards due east of the northern end of Loos, very close to Bois Hugo and Chalk Pit Wood. I am currently travelling so cannot post a map. Someone will be able to I'm sure, though you might want to search this forum for a map of Loos.

Robert

Thanks for that info Chris, hope to get out there one day, especially if there is still a mine head there.

Cheers

Colin

Colin

Which unit of the 2nd Guards Brigade was your grandfather serving with?

Kind rgds

Ed

Hi Ed,

He was attached from the Royal Flying Corp, as part of a observation team, moving up with the advancing Infantry, then signalling with a lamp to aeroplanes flying overhead who would then fly to HQ and drop message showing the progress, he was mortally wounded on the 28th after sending a message concerning the attack on Pit 14.

Colin

Hello Colin

Of course, I should have realised this from your earlier postings!

The following map shows the German positions around Hill 70, including the Chalk Pit, Bois Hugo and Puits No.14. The 2nd Guards Brigade (Brig.Gen. Ponsonby) was able to take the Chalk Pit on 26 September 1915 after fierce fighting but couldn't hold Puits 14. A further attempt on Puits 14 was made by the 1st Coldstream on 28 September but proved unsuccessful due to enfilading fire from the Bois Hugo.

Incidentally, 2nd Guards Brigade consisted of the following units:

3/Grenadier Gds.

1/Coldstream Gds.

1/Scots Gds.

2/Irish Gds.

Hope the above helps.

Kind rgds

Ed

post-4-1096825923.jpg

Colin

I can send you a colour version of the map if the above isn't too clear.

Rgds

Ed

Colin

Just one more bit of info. Sir John French in his despatch described the Puits 14 bis as "another coal mine, possessing great possibilities for defence when taken in conjunction with a strong redoubt situated on the north-east side of Hill70.".

Rgds

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info, if you could send a coloured copy of map, that would be an unexpected bonus, I am compiling a journal about him.

Thanks

Colin

A modern day aerial photograph of the area can be found courtesy of http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/the...plus%20text.htm

Regards

Richard

Thanks to everyone for your help with Wm Hy Burns, thanks to you all I have built up a great word picture of the man and the conditions he endured during his time at the front.

Its ironic that he transferred from the 3rd Bn Grenadier Guards to the Royal Flying Corp in 1912 only to be mortally wounded when working along side the Guards Brigade at the Battle of Loos, which included the 3rd Bn Grenadiers.

Colin

Hi Fred,

I have read your contribution, it makes for interesting reading, I beleive they were all heros, it appears from reading so many accounts that everyone was motivated and ready to press on regardless.

May they all rest in peace

Colin