Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Wales Borderers

ljuk

My great grandfather served in the South Wales Borderers and fought at Gallipoli. He was discharged in 1916.

I was just wondering if anyone can verify this uniform he's wearing as being the SWB dress uniform at the time? Would he have been issued with one, as a Private soldier, enlisted in November 1914?

There is some controversy in the family about it as it's understood that after the war he did for a while work as a commissionaire at a cinema.

Sorry I don't have a better photo ... I'm thinking it was probably taken in the 1930's? Maybe earlier.

Thanks for any comments ...

post-95850-0-53669400-1390069700_thumb.j

Looks more a fire service uniform to me.

Does not look WW1 to me. EDIT. In the photo in the link looks advanced in age, wearing his war ribbions so not 1914 in any way!

If discharged in 1916 he would not have a uniform in the 1930's. Unless he is a high ranking officer that had a private purchase uniform and the discharge to say uniform can be worn.

Sorry just does not look a uniform of the SWB. After the war medal ribbons worn on a lot of pesudo uniforms including commissionaires at cinemas. If he was in "dress unifrom" as you say the full medal would be worn(unless he pawned them!) but the capbadge does not fit for SWB, the uniform does not fit.

Thanks Scalyback. I think you're right, he wouldn't have been issued with a "dress uniform" as you say.

He was just a lowly Private but I don't think he would have "pawned" his medals.

Sorry just does not look a uniform of the SWB

Could you possibly point me in the direction of an image of SWB dress uniform? Issued 1914-1916?

I would say its WW2 era. Did he doing anything in WW2? ARP, Police, Fire Brigade etc.?

I believe a SWB Other Ranks dress uniform around the start of WW1 might have been more like this:

http://www.sutlers.co.uk/acatalog/zulu.html

Rgds

Tim D

No kidding! Infantry wore a similar full dress uniform up until WW1.

WWI period SWB uniforms look like this, which is totally unlike that shown in the thread starting picture. Looks more like Police or Fire brigade or commisionaire perhaps as suggested.

post-91897-0-77292200-1390026327_thumb.j

Yes. You asked for 'dress' uniform worn by SWB in 1914-1916 and what was posted is full dress uniform unique to SWB. This is what the term 'dress' would usually apply to.

What has been posted by Jerry is the standard service uniform 'service dress' worn by the whole British Army.

Your original picture is similar to WW2 era service dress, but looks to be navy in colour. In the field the Army began wearing khaki Battle Dress in 1939.

First glance looks like Fire Service, Station Officer and above from memory. Cap badge appears to be 8 pointed star typical to F.S. Impellers on shoulders would clinch it.

Puzzling to me is the collar/tie combination which don't seem to fit uniformed services.

Have you tried a good magnifier on the original?

I don't have the original unfortunately. Hoping someone in the family does - I have asked.

To my knowledge he was never in the Fire Service.

I am inclined to believe now that this was his commissionaire's uniform - as Scalyback mentioned in post #4 the cap badge doesn't look like SWB.

Will post the original photo (or at least a better copy) if one turns up.