Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Vistula Weekly Newspaper

AdamB

I was hoping somebody might have some good background information regarding The Vistula.

It is a handwritten weekly newspaper for Graudenz POW Camp dated in 1918. Really interesting read, it has match reports from hockey games played between English, Scottish and Irish prisoners, stories from back home, poems and a memorium section for troops who had died of illness etc.

All I have found out from a quick search on Google is a solitary BBC page that told me nothing I didn't already know. So if anybody knows a little more indepth behind the origins of this paper or even some information about Graudenz POW camp in general that might be of use, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Adam

I am starting to research the VISTULA as part of my research into the life of Lt John Rhodes WILSON of 12th KOYLIs.

It may well be the entry on the BBC website that his grandson made that you have found.

Happy to work with you on finding more. I believe from the family that JRW worked on the paper but I want to see if I can find some reference to him

I'm on (removed by moderator) 

Regards ATD

• 6 months later...

In The Vistula is there any mention of Captain Lyon, 6DLI or 2nd Lt I'Anson, 6 DLI ?

Regards

David

• 4 years later...
On 17/01/2014 at 14:41, AdamB said:

I was hoping somebody might have some good background information regarding The Vistula.

It is a handwritten weekly newspaper for Graudenz POW Camp dated in 1918. Really interesting read, it has match reports from hockey games played between English, Scottish and Irish prisoners, stories from back home, poems and a memorium section for troops who had died of illness etc.

All I have found out from a quick search on Google is a solitary BBC page that told me nothing I didn't already know. So if anybody knows a little more indepth behind the origins of this paper or even some information about Graudenz POW camp in general that might be of use, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam, I have copies from my grandfather of both weekly editions of The Vistula – let me know if I can help.  Here's his recent tweet on the topic!

On 17/01/2014 at 14:41, AdamB said:

On 29/01/2014 at 12:34, atd13022 said:

I am starting to research the VISTULA as part of my research into the life of Lt John Rhodes WILSON of 12th KOYLIs.

Adam & ATD, this thread may be relevant if you're still pursuing Vistula research: