Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BE on public display

94avenge

Would any viewer have any details for the occasion shown in the attached photo of a BE on public display, any thoughts greatly received.

Regards,

Ian

Note: I originally posted this photo within the topic "A573 tail number" as this appears to be a similar occasion but presumably a different aircraft as there are no exhaust stacks visible in this one.

post-83776-0-84904000-1389951782_thumb.j

Hmmm. almost total absence of any evidence of horses, except a slight scatter on the lower left corner, no vehicles (apart from prams and bikes)...

Gofreys selling tents and sac(king?) next to Bellamy (cake shop?). There also seems to be an artillery piece behind the aircraft with a row of children sitting along the barrel...

Any one recognise the shop names and location? Seems too tranquil to be London..

Hello Kevin,

Many thanks for your comments and observations, we just need someone with local knowledge to pick up on these clues.

I did consider if this machine was advertising one of the displays of aircraft that took place "up north" such as that at No. 9 A.A.P. Aerodrome, Town Moor, Newcastle-on-Tyne or Roundhay, Leeds during 1919 ?

Ian

I'm going to suggest the Shire Hall in Chelmsford. Bellamy's was a chemists and certainly there used to be Godfrey's rope and tent makers in Chelmsford. (Closed down in about 1985?)

The artillery piece could well be the Sebastopol cannon, famous in our family for the huge egg which came up on my son's head when he fell off it - after having been told not to climb on it. (It was in Oakland's Park then, home of the Essex Regiment Museum.) Originally it stood at the top of Chelmsford High Street outside the Shire Hall.

Sebastopol Cannon

CGM

CGM is correct its the Shire Hall Chelmsford here is another photo from the same source from a different angle

as confirmation

Here

regards Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely shire hall, Chelmsford. We have a copy of another angle held at Stow Maries Aerodrome Archive. Believed to be aeroplane week, 1918 and the aircraft from C Flight 37 Squadron, Goldhanger.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you 12th East Surrey for the additional info. Sorry for this delayed thank you as I have been unable to view postings of late.

Regards,

Ian

PS does your photo reveal a serial number ?

Unfortunately not. The tail is covered by people. I had the information and saw the photos first back in 1980 when I used to visit an elderly gentleman who was a ten year old boy living in the farm house at Gardners Farm, Goldhanger with his family during the RNAS/RFC/RAF occupation 1915-19. He was very accurate, naming names, dates incidents all of which have proven to be correct. It was he who told me that he knew the Be came from Goldhanger and was used on the steps of Shire Hall for aeroplane week in Chelmsford, he had a copy of the photo. Hope that's ok.