Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reveille Magazine

Golden Oats

I've been searching without luck for an online source of Reveille Magazine back issues (to view). I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction - if such a thing exists at all.

Thanks.

Pete

I had no luck and used a library in Melbourne for my copies.

cheers

Kirsty

Thanks, Kirsty.

I'm in NZ, so I might see if there's a collection held by a library here.

Many of the Gallipoli related quotes I see from Reveille seem to come from 1932, but I assume they have had a series of Gallipoli articles throughout their history. Would I need to look at every issue to get a full understanding of their Gallipoli material?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

As far as I know, there is no index to the Reveille magazines. Articles on Gallipoli range across many years; the early thirties in particular. I accessed them in the State Library of NSW (Mitchell) in Sydney. That was almost twenty years ago, so I don't know what may have been done since then regarding compiling an index or copying and distributing to other libraries etc. You could contact them through their website to ask.

Digitising these into Trove would be a terrific and useful centenary project.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll hunt them down in NZ somewhere, and I agree that scanning them for the centenary would be a good service. If I find them, I'll scan the Gallipoli stories and figure out a way to post them.

Thanks,

Pete

I cannot understand why better use of the articles within these magazines has not been made. Charles Bean, Harry Murray and others all wrote articles for Reveille. Surely if the cost of digitising them is prohibitive there would be a case for publishing a collection of articles related to specific campaigns or battles.

Carlyon's book on the Western Front draws quite heavily on Reveille articles which are listed in the bibliography- an index of sorts.

Scott

Golden Oats (Pete)

I engaged a good researcher to find my Reveille stuff that pertained to my studies and still do ( i live in Bali). They are a veritable minefield of information. Was tempted to see what there was for The Landing at Anzac with regard to machine guns early that morning. Am sure there will be some interesting stuff!!. But Hill 60 prevails for me, and the info for that portion of the Gallipoli campaign is quite good as David W Cameron knows and which he included in his book on the August battles until evacuation.

Enjoy the search!

Ian

Ian, one suggestion for a Reveille article (PM me if you'd like more) for accounts of MGs during The Landing at Anzac; this one is by an officer of the 10th Bn:

Mitchell, G. D. (Captain), 'The Anzac Landing'. Reveille: RSS&AILA, Sydney, 1 Jun 1935 p 12, 46.

As a sample, here are some Gallipoli-related articles from Reveille for 1933:

Barrett, L. and Millar, K. 'Braund and Scobie: 2nd Bn. Giants'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Oct 1933 p15.

Barrow, G. L. 'No Swank: Sir John Monash.' Reveille, Sydney, 1 Jul 1933 p 16.

Bean, C. E. W. 'Writing the War History'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Jun 1933 p 3.

'Cobber'. 'A Jacka Memory: Death Anniversary'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Jan 1933 p3, 32.

Collingwood, J. J. 'Celebrities of the A.I.F. (29): Pte. A. W. Aston'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Jan 1933 p 7, 30.

Dickinson, G. F. (Major), 'Celebrities of the A.I.F. - (33) : Brig-Gen. J. H. Cannan, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O.'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 May 1933 p 8, 9.

Donnellan, G. J. (Sergeant), 'Fighting Mac'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Mar 1933 p8, 9.

Harris, N. C. (Captain), 'An Anzac In Retrospect'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Sep 1933 p10, 26, 27.

Hughes, J. G. (Colonel), 'Gallipoli Stories: "Ruses"'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Jan 1933 p27.

Idriess, I. L. 'Lone Pine'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Aug 1933 p18, 56, 57.

Loughran, H. G. (Major), 'Hill 60: 4th Brigade Attacks'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Aug 1933 p36, 52, 53.

Macdermid, D. R. (Captain), 'Sari Bair Memories'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Aug 1933 p50.

Park, J. A. 'Anzac Evacuation: Last Troops'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Apr 1933 p 57.

Reveille. 'Anzac Day Anthem: Competition'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Jul 1933 p 16.

Reveille. 'Family Quotas: Great War'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Mar 1933 p29.

Reveille. 'Greets Aussies: Indian Battery'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Feb 1933 p10.

Reveille. 'Memorials In Stone'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 May 1933 p28.

Reveille. 'Mills' Bombs: Used at Anzac'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Mar 1933 p12.

Reveille. 'Outwitted "Heads": Digger at Anzac'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Jun 1933 p 12.

Reveille, Sydney, 1 May 1933 p28.

Wray, F. W. (Canon / Senior Anglican Chaplain), 'The Fourth Brigade at Anzac'. Reveille, Sydney, 1 Aug 1933 p 6, 7, 62.

Golden Oats (Pete); you're in NZ - right? Anywhere near Trentham?

Hi Ian,

The researcher is a good idea. I might investigate that route if I come up empty handed in NZ.

Hi Byrn,

Wow, if 1933 is an example, Reveille is a treasure trove of personal accounts (something I'm particularly interested in), and only 18 years later. Reasonably reliable I would imagine - even I can remember 1996 quite well! Apart from personal agendas of course.

I've just received all the back issues of The Gallipolian, so I'm looking forward to trawling through those. A much later period of course.

Trentham? Yes, about 20 mins away. Is there something I can help you with?

Thanks,

Pete

• 6 months later...

For those of you interested in Australia and WWI, not just Gallipoli, I can tell you that I have a book about to be published by HarperCollins (probably on sale in early January) which is a compilation of more than 100 pieces written for the various RSL magazines by WWI veterans. I have gone through all copies of Reveille (NSW), The Listening Post (WA), The Queensland Digger (Q) and Mufti (Vic)... principally those magazines ... and collected some absolutely terrific first hand accounts. From enlistment to the Armistice, covering the fleet sailing, Egypt/Palestine, Gallipoli, Western Front, HMAS Sydney V Emden and also V Zeppelin, air aces, nurses. Some written by Generals and VC winners, but most by privates, corporals, junior officers, doctors, nurses, padres, signallers, and sappers (including Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith who was a sapper at the Landing).

As part of this project we have scanned all Reveilles and all Muftis, and are about to do the same with Tasmania's magazines, and I imagine these will eventually be accessible online. WA had already done that.

This will prove to be a great read. These stories were written well before the years dulled the memories. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

For those of you interested in Australia and WWI, not just Gallipoli, I can tell you that I have a book about to be published by HarperCollins (probably on sale in early January) which is a compilation of more than 100 pieces written for the various RSL magazines by WWI veterans. I have gone through all copies of Reveille (NSW), The Listening Post (WA), The Queensland Digger (Q) and Mufti (Vic)... principally those magazines ... and collected some absolutely terrific first hand accounts. From enlistment to the Armistice, covering the fleet sailing, Egypt/Palestine, Gallipoli, Western Front, HMAS Sydney V Emden and also V Zeppelin, air aces, nurses. Some written by Generals and VC winners, but most by privates, corporals, junior officers, doctors, nurses, padres, signallers, and sappers (including Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith who was a sapper at the Landing).

Thanks for that John. Looking forward to the release of that book. Saying that, 100 stories, what is the chance of more of these stories being published? I imagine there were a lot more.

Scott

I could probably have included another 20 ... a couple came to light very late in the process, because, for example, descendants contributed extracts from diaries in the 1990s. But some were going over ground already covered or perhaps weren't as well written. Quite separately there was a very interesting series published over 20 or more years "Personalities of the AIF" - a series of profiles of prominent soldiers/officers. I didn't include any of these because they didn't fit the bill of "personal stories". There are only 2 stories in the book now which are not personal accounts, one being a piece on the Pfalz being seized in Melbourne, and that's there just to give historical context to the start of WWI for Australia.

I'm right in the middle of the first proof-reading now, adding some biographical and explanatory notes where needed. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised at how well these veterans had written their accounts of particular battles or incidents ... some are absolutely horrific and tragic, others are very funny.

Sorry, Celebrities of the AIF" was that series I referred to ...not "personalities."

I noticed someone posting above had a special interest in trench warfare .... there is a considerable number of stories included which cover trench warfare both at Gallipoli and on the Western Front.

• 3 months later...

Just to keep everyone posted ...

"The RSL Book of WWI" has just been printed and I picked up 2 copies from HarperCollins on Friday. One copy is on its way to the Australian Prime Minister as his staff are keen for him to launch the book, probably at the ANZAC Memorial in Sydney in mid-December.

Supplies will be delivered to bookshops throughout Australia in December and, depending on how quickly individual shops unpack and display copies, will be on sale before Christmas. Officially it goes on sale in January, at the start of the Gallipoli centenary year. HarperCollins tell me it is unlikely to be available online before January. RRP in Australian dollars is $29.95.

I am really thrilled by the book - and I'm simply unaware of anything quite like it: in effect, a history of Australians in WWI (with honourable mentions of New Zealanders, Brits, Indians and even an American!) as written by the men (and a couple of women) themselves. More than 100 stories, on enlistment, Palestine, Gallipoli, Western Front, airmen, HMAS Sydney, POWs, repatriation. I've added biographical and historical context notes, but otherwise, these are stories, experiences and memories as they were written for the veterans' own magazines. It is fully indexed too, which I know will be a help to people searching for family mentions - remembering, of course, that something like 30% of the Australians were British born.

Well done John.

Could you keep us posted regarding the book launch.

Scott

www.harpercollins.com.au/books/RSL-Book-World-War/?isbn=9780732299651

Thanks John,

Looking at the blurb was the sapper first ashore on the Anzac landing from the 1st Field Company Engineers?

Thanks John,

Looking at the blurb was the sapper first ashore on the Anzac landing from the 1st Field Company Engineers?

I didn't write the blurb, which says, in part, "An engineer who was one of the first ashore at Gallipoli and who cut steps up the cliffs for those who followed" ...

that refers to an account by Sapper William Charles Cridland, who was indeed with the 1st Field Company Engineers. In later life he became president of the TB Soldiers' Assoc.

Thanks John.

I've been looking for accounts of the 1st F.C.E during Gallipoli.

Scott

Names he mentions in his account include Lieutenant Mather, who was his section commander, and Colonel Lee. He describes the preparations for the Landing, what equipment and supplies each of them was carrying, how they landed, engaged the enemy and were fired upon, and how they were ordered to cut steps up the cliff. He also mentions meeting General Birdwood.