Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Army WW1 - but which part?

Philip Bryer

I Phoned Mr Rawings today, and after a little chat with his wife, she told me he had passed away.

Oh dear must have been a difficult call.... I do not recall meeting Keith Rawlings or his badge booklet. Do you have a copy and does it give any sources?

Sepoy

I Phoned Mr Rawings today, and after a little chat with his wife, she told me he had passed away.

Oh dear must have been a difficult call.... I do not recall meeting Keith Rawlings or his badge booklet. Do you have a copy and does it give any sources?

Sepoy

Hi Sepoy, Keith has done some great books, I think the last one (2001) on OTC/CCF/ACF/Cadets to british units was done with a lot of help from Hugh King. The first edition was in 1989 (50 copies) from then about a total 40 copies over the next 12 years.( There a note about this in the cover) making a total of 90 books.A great book for collectors of badges,flashes,buttons,swagger canes. Over 3300 entries.

Mine was given to me by Mr Rawings, and I do not know if the book was ever sold, it may have only been given away to some collectors, I think you gave a gift to a night shelter.

The 1977 book on badges (VTC etc) is rare. Both books are local print, so no isbn number.

All the best A.Evans.

• 2 years later...

Philip, I think the shoulder title has the following on it N VOLUNTEER R, as I have a photo of a chap wearing the same cap badge, and you can just see the last two Rs on his shoulder.

today I found this shoulder title

post-7376-0-22788700-1461273061_thumb.jp

This was the shoulder title posted on the British & Commonwealth Badge Forum by Norfolk Regt Man and I think we now all agree it's Norfolk Volunteer Regt.

Gentlemen - I'm going to have to take back what I said in my last post as it would appear we're looking at the "National Volunteer Reserve" and not Norfolk Volunteer Regt, a little known unit created from the National Reserve formed in 1910/11. Generally they weren't uniformed and know only of a handful that were, which were London based, even to the point of having their own cap badges.

The N.R. was graded into three categories and those that were graded "CIII" appear to have become the National Volunteer Reserve and were affiliated to the Volunteer Training Corps - leaving the V.T.C. in 1915 to form the Royal Defence Corps.

Many thanks to my colleagues on the Badge Forum for their assistance in this matter.

• 2 years later...

Leslie Arthur WHITE Born 26th July 1904 according to Baptism record. Baptised 21st August 1904 on Canvey, Parents Arthur James & Elizabeth

GetImage40.jpg

Coincidentally there is a current post in the British and Commonwealth Military Badge Forum that covers this same cloth shoulder title: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=466378#post466378