Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patrol uniform, 1920's/1930's?

wulfrik-the-wanderer

To me the side cap in question has a couple of concerns with the buttons and cap/collar badge. It has a officers cap/collar badge and other ranks brass buttons, hence the wear of the polishing.

From what I have researched side caps ( Field Service Caps) were worn between c 1894-1902-5 a collar badge was worn in the side cap by all ranks, regular officers wearing silver and gilt, OR’s brass collar badges of a different pattern. Volunteers wore the same patterns, but silvered and white metal.

In 1898 the familiar cap badge with the scroll was introduced and was first worn on 1st December 1900. Which would date the cap to before 1901. Officers, regular and volunteers would have had regimental buttons on their caps in the respective metals, OR’s would have had General Service QVC buttons in their respective metals . OR’s regimental brass buttons were introduces c 1924. Regular officers never had a collar badge in brass, only in silver and gilt and of course bronze patterns which came in c 1904. I have seen the bronze collar badges with the bronze rubbed off so the brass is showing which could account for the

There is nothing wrong with the buttons, which are the correct officers gilt pattern, but they have been cleaned, perhaps by a servant (batman), which is not unusual. Other ranks were not given regimental buttons again (having lost them around 1870) until 1924, as you have mentioned. The wearing of a collar badge in the FSC was quite common for a period and it seems possible that a collar badge might have been used because the officer concerned was unable to get the correct badge whilst in the USA.

I enclose a tailors advert for the between wars blue patrols uniform - note the absence of pleats from the chest pockets.

post-599-0-16877900-1416248119_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...