Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Lancers help

The Guardroom

I have no knowledge of the 12th Lancers or cavalry overall, but trying to help a friend in any information that can be obtained from the service number or what is on line to the 12th Lancers.

Is anyone an expert on this Cavalry Regiment and can help on the man listed below? Like when he enlisted or if he is in any SWB entry as discharged?

783 (L/783) Private Harry Bradley, 12th Lancers.

I thought all Privates in the Cavalry were Troopers? Also not sure why the number change had an 'L' added later on.

Many thnaks for any help,

Alan

• Admin

Alan

He got a SWB - enlisted 10/12/1907, discharged KR 392 xvi 12/6/1918 badge number 425122. Without looking at MICs, I expect he would have been awarded te 14 Star trio.

And you're in luck. The war diary has been digitised and came online only yesterday. It can be downloaded from

1914 August - 1919 April

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7351496

1919 April - August

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7351644

Glen

The rank of Trooper wasn't introduced into Cavalry of the Line until 1922. Household Cavalry units used "Trooper", but "Private" for the rest.

And the L/ prefix indicates enlistment into the Corps of Lancers - and likelihood of transfer between Lancer regiments.

Thanks Glen for the link direct to the diary. it seems the whole war period is under 1 diary that makes this very accessable.

So looks like he was a Reservist called up at the outbreak.