Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Division - 56th Division boundary Nov 1918

RobertBr

I have traced the route of the 56th Division from September through to the Armistice. During the last few days I understand that the 11th Division were on their left and would like to establish the divisional boundaries, although I expect they were quite fluid.

The 56th crossed the rivers Aunelle (5th Nov) and Grande Honnelle moving through Sebourg, Onneezies (Belgium). On a single brigade front they advanced through Fayt le Franc (8th Nov) and then seem to move just north of the border through to Quevy Le Grand and Harvengt (11th Nov).

I can place the 11th Division in Roisin on 5th Nov and the Guards in Maubeuge on 9th or 10th Nov. My assumption is that the 11th Division moved parrellel to the 56th south of the border, probably taking Malplaquet in the process, finishing near the Maubeuge to Mons Road.

Can anyone confirm this?

Bob

33rd brigade, 11th Div moved into Sebourg on 4 November and then attacked the rising ground behind the village. The following morning the 6th Lincoln's passed through he 9th Sherwood Foresters and took the ridge aided by 7th South Stafford's. The 9th Sherwood's returning to Sebourg and billets.

After this - Roisin on 7/8th. Bellevue Farm - leaving on 9th and crossing into Belgium. Elements of the Brigade covered 10,000 yards during that day, ending at Aulnois and Coegnies Chause. On 10th leaving Aulnois and moving to Havay and this move was aided by a Coy of New Zealand Cyclists and Cavalry. The 63rd (Naval) Division passed through the 33rd Brigade on the 11th at 07.00hrs and continued the fight and at 11.00hrs they had established outpost line along the railway to the east of Vellervielle-Le-Sec.

I only have a map to 11 October which shows - 56th Div, 11 Div, 49th Div. This would make the 11th Div to the right of 56th.

Not sure if that helps!

Steve

Bob

XXII Corps of 1st Army maps might help with boundaries. Items I have seen before show Divisional boundary lines.There is one specific map file at Kew with 36 maps showing dispositions of XXII Corps units from Sep to 7 Nov 1918. Ref is WO153/748.

A second one which deals with the Sambre from 27 Oct to 3 Nov has 3 maps under WO153/331.

Steve

Thanks for the info it goes a long way to support my view. Interstingly my records show the Queens Westminsters captruing Sebourg on the 4th, with 281 Bde RFA having its HQ there on the 5th and the 63rd (Naval) Division relieved the 168th Brigade on 7th Nov.

It almost looks as if someone drew a line from Sebourg to Aulnois as a demarkation. I must look up the whereabouts of the 63rd (Naval) Division.

Sotonmate

Thanks for the references. I need an excuse to go up to Kew again.

Regards

Bob

Hello Bob,

Although this map is on Corps level, it might give an idea of the area.

Hope it is helpful,

Jef

post-64837-0-89663800-1389815541_thumb.j

Thanks Jef every little helps.

I have actually travelled my Grandfathers route with 281 Bde RFA to where he ended the war in Quevy Le Petit. I am really trying to find his route from Athis to Quevy. Until now I have assumed a route near Dour to Balrengies. The problem is that his diary mentions a place called Nagur or Nayor or ... So now I want to explore the idea they may have travelled south of the border.

Effectivly he travelled from Azincourt to Ramillies and now I may be able to add Malplaquet!

Regards

Bob

Could it be Namur?

It looks as though 11th Div, replaced 4 Div in the line after, Battle of Valenciennes.

Elements of 11th Division based at Havay for a while after ceasefire.

Steve

Steve

Namur is to far away for a howitzer battery march.

I attach some extracts from his diary. He was in Quevy Le Petit on the 11th

I did find a house in Athis with a similar name but the owner told me it was a new made up name.

Bob

post-11115-0-97651400-1389995313_thumb.j

Steve

When I was in Mons I bought several large sacle maps of the area south to the border. I have poured over them a number of times without succes.

However recently I was reading the 281 Bde War Diary and the History of the 56th and noted a few extra place names. Eventually I found some of them on the map, one was no more than a farmstead! I also found a online map with road names and found another of the place names as 'Rue de ....'.

Looking at road names south of the border I noticed a large number of roads that had obviusly been re-named after the war eg Rue de Hig, Rue des Allies etc. Maybe its one of the old names I am seeking.

I have found all the place names in my Grandfathers diary except for this one and usually they are spelt correctly. He would probably have got the names from signs, I now wonder if it was a road sign or small hamlet which has since changed name.

I think another trip to the batlefiields may be looming.

Thanks for all your help.

Bob