Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Tranche of New Digitised War Diaries Online

spof

Morning

I'm finding the new diaries most disappointing !!!!

Previously I could download a full diary for a very reasonable cost.

I've just looked at 2 Royal Scots and need to download 8 !!!! to get the same information, one of which is January to June - 6 months !!!

Signed

Dejected from Walsall

David,

Thanks for all your work on the forum regarding the War Diaries.

Still not happy about the way the pricing is laid out and the way decisions have been made to splice and dice diaries, but understand it from the NA's point of view as you've posted.

I did break down and downloaded a few must have items, and the quality is great.

One slight error to report, in that 1st Buffs war diary WO95/1608/1 for 1914-15 is running backwards- so December 1915 is on page 1 and July 1914 begins on page 64. Images within the individual months are in the correct order.

Best regards,

Matthew

Noticed WO/95/1421 1st Battalion The Gordon Highlanders August 1915 8th Inf Bde, 3rd Div, page 1, 3, 4 & 6 are missing/not scanned? It may be that the pages have gone missing, but they are certainly in the original black and white PDF.

Mike

If you could raise these via the contact link I've given before - that way you'll be contacted when it's been fixed, and given the opportunity to download again. I will try and pass them on as well, but I've been working from home without email access.

Skipman, are the pages actually numbered, or is it just evident that particular dates are missing? I don't know if we've considered what to do if the old version have an image of something that's since gone missing, but we probably should!

" Skipman, are the pages actually numbered, or is it just evident that particular dates are missing? "

Sorry David, the pages are not actually numbered, and, yes, it is evident that the dates are missing. They are definitely in the originals though. I dare say it's possible they have been scanned and do appear in the wrong month/year, but I don't have the whole diary.

Cheers Mike

• 3 months later...

Indeed they have. I was extremely excited to discover the RFA diary I've been wanting for a couple of years was available to download and very good it is too!

same here, now have all the 5th (4th/5th) btn B.W. for the war.

Some great detail in there too :)

I just purchased teh War Diaries of 280 (WO 2940/2) & 281 (WO95 2940/3) Bde RFA.

I got the 281 diary but the 280 diary turned out to be B Squadron King Edwards Horse (WO 95 /2940/1).

I have contacted the NA about the error.

If/when I get the correct diary I will update this post.

As for cost £3.30 each; a bargain. A few years ago I bought part of 281 Diary it cost me over £200, but well worth it as it mentioned my Grandfather!

Regards

Bob

10th June

I have now received a copy of the 280 Bde RFA diary. Evidently the images were swapped when being loaded on Discovery. This is being corrected.

• 2 weeks later...

Have not read all replies to this topic, but one that I would like to know, do the copies contain ALL the information, eg maps, orders etc; one could get when viewing at the Kew, and the other point regarding maps, they have a policy of extracting them, including smaller sketch ones and placing them in other 'mapping files', which in my mind, you don't get that extra valuable information, unless you troll through the mapping references, as there are generally no refernces to them in the original files, and then its not certain as to if the one you find is relevant. I have experienced this when reviewing diaries from WW2.

Regards

James

Yes, everything in the boxes has been digitised.

Some maps were indeed extracted and are in WO 153, http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details/C14360-details (this happened many years ago, largely during the writing of the official histories). Some other material still held to be confidential when the war diaries were first transferred to the then PRO was also extracted and is to be found in WO 154 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Uri=C14361 - as you can see from this view http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/browse/C14361?v=h (keep hitting next 30) you can at least find out esily which division material might relate to, but to find the original WO 95 reference from which material was extracted you need to consult a physical finding aid at Kew