Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Tranche of New Digitised War Diaries Online

spof

David absolutely superb just downloaded 1915/1917 diary for the 12th Glosters (Bristol’s Own) and at £3.36 it is a bargain. Just one question am I allowed to post an image of one of the pages to my Flickr photosite? if not no problem so advice welcomed

Regards

Norman

I'm not quite sure whether these images are covered by the Open Government Licence. I don't want to advise you wrongly (either way), so the safest course is probably again to use the contact link I gave further up-thread. Copyright isn't really my field!

David, are you able to explain how the apparent link-up with Naval & Military Press works? They circulated a press/customer news release yesterday about forthcoming access to war diaries via DVD, etc.

I best start saving now.

I best start saving now.

Best.

Interesting to find which method proves the most cost effective. The CD-ROM disks are very useful, but no use after a few years.

Mike

You are right, at the moment I use 2 different PC's and 2 laptops to cope with the different CD's.

I've asked about this, and will let you know when I can.

On the CD front, you might be able to use Oracle VirtualBox (free) to set up a virtual machine (or machines) on your newest PC and have them running older versions of Windows, but there can be licensing problems with that.

You are right, at the moment I use 2 different PC's and 2 laptops to cope with the different CD's.

Yes. I use two machines. Windows updates do make them obsolete. I was sent a patch by N & MP, but could not get it to run. I'm not quite tech savvy enough, though I do have a fair grasp of basic PC skills. I'm wondering, as the copy functions are enabled on the National Archive diaries, whether N & MP will fore-go protection on the discs. This may make them less prone to updates etc, and they may last a bit longer. As it is, if my non updated machine packs up, my OH DVD's will join the famous " Coasters Club "

Mike

Edit Sorry David, I missed your post

The only disk I gave up on was the German trench maps, that did things to my PC I would rather not think about, the disk was eventually tied to a cane in the garden to scare the birds away fro my gooseberries so it found a use.

The only disk I gave up on was the German trench maps, that did things to my PC I would rather not think about, the disk was eventually tied to a cane in the garden to scare the birds away fro my gooseberries so it found a use.

Very expensive bird-scarers at that?

Is it the copy protection that causes the problem. A disk should run until the plastic degrades. Why does a windows update make it useless? I doubt very much whether I will bother with the disk version, when there are other more user friendly mediums. The only reason I bought the OH was that it was fully searchable, which is extremely useful. The war diaries disk will only have a searchable index. What does the N & MP disk offer that is extra. Will wait and see?

Mike

Hopefully for those able to visit Kew it will still be possible to download the diaries required over their wi-fi without payment.

Keith

Hopefully for those able to visit Kew it will still be possible to download the diaries required over their wi-fi without payment.

Keith

At 495 miles by road I'd prefer to be able to visit a public library or museum and do the same...

I have been informed at TNA that the Gallipoli diaries are being digitised by Ancestry. I have no idea how that will work or what the payment regime will be, but perhaps the libraries that give access to Ancestry will be the place to go for Gallipoli!

David absolutely superb just downloaded 1916/1917 diary for the 12th Glosters (Bristol’s Own) and at £3.36 it is a bargain. Just one question am I allowed to post an image of one of the pages to my Flickr photosite? if not no problem so advice welcomed

Regards

Norman

I'm not quite sure whether these images are covered by the Open Government Licence. I don't want to advise you wrongly (either way), so the safest course is probably again to use the contact link I gave further up-thread. Copyright isn't really my field!

Copyright is explained at: http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/legal/copyright.htm

The Open Government Licence (for public sector information): http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/2/

states that:

<snip>

"You are encouraged to use and re-use the Information that is available under this licence freely and flexibly, with only a few conditions.

Using Information under this licence.

Use of copyright and database right material expressly made available under this licence (the ‘Information’) indicates your acceptance of the terms and conditions below.

The Licensor grants you a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive licence to use the Information subject to the conditions below.

This licence does not affect your freedom under fair dealing or fair use or any other copyright or database right exceptions and limitations.

You are free to:
  • copy, publish, distribute and transmit the Information;
  • adapt the Information;
  • exploit the Information commercially and non-commercially for example, by combining it with other Information, or by including it in your own product or application.
You must, where you do any of the above:

If the Information Provider does not provide a specific attribution statement, or if you are using Information from several Information Providers and multiple attributions are not practical in your product or application, you may use the following:

Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v2.0.

• acknowledge the source of the Information by including any attribution statement specified by the Information Provider(s) and, where possible, provide a link to this licence;

These are important conditions of this licence and if you fail to comply with them the rights granted to you under this licence, or any similar licence granted by the Licensor, will end automatically."

<snip>

I understand that to mean that provided you show:

1) an acknowledgment ("Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v2.0.")

OR

2) a link to the Open Government Licence:

You are free to:

• copy, publish, distribute and transmit the Information;
  • adapt the Information;
  • exploit the Information commercially and non-commercially for example, by combining it with other Information, or by including it in your own product or application.

Tom.

All true, but doesn't quite answer the question as to the applicability of the OGL to the digitised material specifically. The catalogue metadata is certainly free to be reused under OGL, however the sue of digitised images is primarily addressed via http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/legal/digital-copies-of-documents.htm. Seadog's usage of a single image on his own website may come under "research for a non-commercial purpose" but I would rather those of my colleagues who normally deal with these queries did the same with this.

All true, but doesn't quite answer the question as to the applicability of the OGL to the digitised material specifically. The catalogue metadata is certainly free to be reused under OGL, however the sue of digitised images is primarily addressed via http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/legal/digital-copies-of-documents.htm. Seadog's usage of a single image on his own website may come under "research for a non-commercial purpose" but I would rather those of my colleagues who normally deal with these queries did the same with this.

Aha!!!

The dreaded small print buried elsewhere - and just when I thought I'd got it understood.

I've seen this text elsewhere but thought they'd changed their rules. But no.

My apologies for misleading anyone.

Tom.

David, I have forwarded this to the address you gave.

1st Battalion The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

WO 95/1263/3

pdf 1

Quite a number of the first 100 pages appear to be black and white. They are very clear, and may be a faithful reproduction of the original. An example of the black and white image I mean is page 25 of 160; as I said, this may be the original colour?

Page 4 of 160, negative image, 4/8/1914-8/8/1914

Page 26 of 160 negative image, last page of 14/9/1914

Mike

These have been checked now. In a small number of cases (for the website version - our preservation masters will only have had the straight image conversion I described previously), some image processing has been performed in order to obtain the most readable image. This is usually where the original paper was very thin and translucent and had faint writing on. Please do continue to report any images that are actually unreadable. Sometimes it may simply be the best which could be done with the original, but with this number of images there could still be the odd out-of-focus shot or similar that's slipped through.

Seadog,

BUT...

Now subject to David's post.

The small print says:

"Digital copies of documents

The use of copies of records downloaded from our website using Discovery is subject to the following conditions. Digital copies of documents may only be used for:

• private study or research for a non-commercial purpose
  • education purposes; in the course of instruction or examination, or in preparation for instruction or examination (by either the giver or receiver of instruction). Copies may be used, and further copies of those copies may be made for this purpose.

Applications for permission for any other use should be addressed to the image library."

Tom.

Aha!!!

The dreaded small print buried elsewhere - and just when I thought I'd got it understood.

I've seen this text elsewhere but thought they'd changed their rules. But no.

My apologies for misleading anyone.

Tom.

Thanks but I am even more confused now!, given that the diaries will be freely available to anyone sitting at a computer I bet that loads of info will be reused and republished one way or another. Finally just a polite plea, please use plain English for instance what is "metadata" and "sue" as in post 92?.

Bye

Norman :w00t:

PS The image in question is contained in and forms part of the digital diary

I have been informed at TNA that the Gallipoli diaries are being digitised by Ancestry. I have no idea how that will work or what the payment regime will be, but perhaps the libraries that give access to Ancestry will be the place to go for Gallipoli!

Or presumably the Archives themselves. Material form Kew digitised on Ancestry and FMP is available free at Kew. Whether it will be possible to download whole diaries there as at present might be less certain.

Keith

Seadog,

I agree with you, but provided any downloaded image is used for:

1) private study or research for a non-commercial purpose

or

2) education purposes; in the course of instruction or examination, or in preparation for instruction or examination (by either the giver or receiver of instruction). Copies may be used, and further copies of those copies may be made for this purpose.

It's those 'grey' areas that lawyers thrive on, and hence the 'grey' language.

Tom.

Sorry, I thought metadata had passed into common usage following all the NSA revelations. Literally data about data, so in the case of Discovery, all the descriptive information and the catalogue references etc is metadata.

Sue was simply a typo for use (probably slightly unfortunate in the context of copyright discussion).