Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Tranche of New Digitised War Diaries Online

spof

• Admin

Graeme - brilliant! Even as a newly minted 'citizen historian' I can find what I'm looking for without wading through pages of stuff on the TNA site.

I regret I too have to disagree with Chris, it is hard to navigate Discovery in spite of using all the hints and tips posted here. Sadly the diaries I want are not in 'the first tranche' at least using Graeme's link I 'discovered' that in seconds.

Ken

I've just done a pre-recorded interview for Five Live in which they ask all about the personal diaries that have been released. I had to correct them and explain that the main news was the easy availability of a small section of unit war diaries - now available via a mouse click for a small fee. We shall see what they broadcast later this afternoon!

Richard Van Emden did the same early this morning on Radio 5 live and corrected the information, I thought he did a good job, Rhod Sharp seemed to get it eventually.

So the question is which new diaries are now online, that weren't yesterday?

It would certainly be handy to know what diaries are being released/have been released in each tranche.

Craig

I have tried finding a few that weren't online yesterday, and it seems that they are still not online, such as Craig the 7DLI for 1918.

David

Glad they've finally got them online, but this is so disappointing.

They're charging 3.36 for each individual piece within a reference, so you get the pleasure of paying 3.36 for WO95/1554/1 then the same for WO95/1554/2, etc . What happened to those great files where we could get half an entire brigade's diaries for the same price which they'd moved to a while back?

Just looking at the 1st RWK diaries, it's going to cost over 40 GBP for the diary, and that's not even including their Italian adventure. Now of course 40 GBP isn't going to break the bank, but in order to get the real context you need the other battalions' diaries, the Brigade diaries, the Brigade support diaries and the Division diaries- going to add up quite a bit and stifle research unless you can get to NA and download for free (if you can still do that?).

Be interesting to see what Naval and Military come up with regards to DVDs of these records. Might be the most economical method of getting them.

Matthew

• Admin

Online now are the 3 cavalry divisions and the first 7 divisions. Basically most of the original units of the BEF who went abroad in 1914 and any units which joined those divisions during the war. They are the complete set of diaries for each division so you'll get the infantry along with divisional troops like RFA, RHA, ASC, MGC, RE, HQ, Adjutant and QM, Field Ambulances, divisional cavalry such as Northants Yeomanry.

A shame they couldn't have squeezed in 8th Division.

No longer online, are all the previously digitised ones for 8th Division and above as well as the few from non-Western Front theatres - Italy, Gallipoli etc.

Post #24 says more to come in the spring and the rest by the end of they year.

Glen

They're charging 3.36 for each individual piece within a reference, so you get the pleasure of paying 3.36 for WO95/1554/1 then the same for WO95/1554/2, etc . What happened to those great files where we could get half an entire brigade's diaries for the same price which they'd moved to a while back?

So, are they know on an individual battalion basis ?

Craig

Individual battalion basis, and anywhere from a month to a just under a year for the RWK example. It all seems to be the luck of the draw regarding how many piece numbers a particular unit was allocated which will effect how much we'll have to pay to get the whole diary. Although having shot my mouth off above I did just find the entire 3rd Dragoon Guards war diary available for 3.36 which seems much better value. This was listed as WO 95/1153/2 so again it's that piece number which determines cost.

So if they have pulled all the ones that were originally online, presumably to split them into bite size chunks as well, does that mean that they will be back on the shelf at Kew until they are re-released?

Phil

• Admin

Phil

I'd been wondering that myself. I was going to give them a day or two for things to calm down (and let them come up with a decision) before emailing them.

Glen

Anyone else having a problem downloading a diary. Trying to download

Title: 1/14 Battalion London Regiment (London Scottish)

Catalogue reference: WO 95/1266/2

Price: £3.36

There has been an error :doh:

Edit-I don't think it was available yesterday (up to Jan 1916)

Edit again-It's working now

Edit again Maybe not, it shouldn't take a half hour eh?

91h1sp.jpg

Mike

So if they have pulled all the ones that were originally online, presumably to split them into bite size chunks as well, does that mean that they will be back on the shelf at Kew until they are re-released?

Glad I got most of the ones I wanted whilst they were still (almost) brigade sized. There are a few other 50 Div ones I want but, typically, I suspect they are well down the release schedule.

Craig

• Admin

Mike

Based on the ones I have from the "old" list, I would have said B&W. I can't imagine TNA doing a B&W AND a clour version so perhaps they are now in colour. As long as the sketches and maps are in colour, I think B&W is better for the faint writing at times but I guess with having colour, you can remove it rather than try to add what doesn't exist.

Glen

OK Glen thanks. It doesn't look like it's going to work anyway. The green thingy is moving, but over half an hour, I'm going to knock it on the head. Will have to try again when gremlins have been fixed, or when it's a bit less busy. As long as I do it within 30 days, is it?

Mike

Has anyone else received an email today from Zooniverse? They have obviously outsourced the transcription of the diaries to budding astronomers. They have sent me a link http://www.operationwardiary.org

Has anyone else received an email today from Zooniverse?

I did - the Zooniverse software seems to be quite adaptable. The users tend to be the sort who will sit and classify astronomy images for hours at a time so maybe the diaries project can benefit from the that.

Craig

• Admin

Tim

See http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=205036

It is not a transcription as such but from what I can gather an attempt to "tag" names and other details in the war diaries to link into the IWM led Live of the First World War project. These new online war diaries are a separate TNA project which happens to be linked in with it.

Glen

A-Ha Downloading now, in 2 parts. And full colour too. And a couple of maps, diagrams. Looks good.

Mike

Hopefully, that means that the old ones they have pulled were re-done along the line and the quality will have improved.

Phil