Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Centenary Christmas Cards 1914

Anneca

I received a wonderful card at Christmas with an image of the Christmas Truce 1914 drawn by A.C. Michael depicting the Christmas truce between opposing trenches. The card had been bought in aid of the ABF, the Soldiers Charity.

I felt these cards would more appropriately relate to Christmas 2014 and have searched the internet, including the Soldiers Charity to purchase some without success. Does anyone know where they can be obtained?

Another thought, although I can fully understand if this would not comply with GWF rules: I wondered if the Mods would consider the Forum having something like a Centenary 1914 Christmas card to be available for purchase by their members, hence boosting the income of the Forum. I sent over 60 Christmas cards last year and would certainly be keen to purchase cards relating to the Great War, at the same time helping the finances of the Forum. There may be many members like myself who buy a lot of cards and are also interested in supporting the Forum coming up to the Centenary?
Anne

post-77422-0-09251600-1389633197_thumb.j

We're always open to ideas Anne, and this is a very good one.

I was lucky enough to receive one of those cards too.

It would be perfect for next Christmas. I'd certainly purchase some

David

Great Idea!

One thing to consider though, is the cost of reproducing the image. To be honest, to make this idea viable, I think we are looking for a free image. We then have the costs of producing the cards, and buying envelopes and distribution; though if this was a runner we could keep costs down if customers supplied their own envelopes. I know that sounds mean, but with an enterprise like this the profit margins would be small, and the lower the costs, the more sales we could attract.

Why not reproduce some of the original Christmas Cards which have been posted on this Forum in the past. I have a number of original examples and would be happy to provide scans.

Sepoy

You will probably find that it is not that expensive to have a printing company do them for you. It would be a big mistake to sell them without envelopes, as, although it sounds okay in theory, in practice I can't see anyone using them. I am an artist and have had cards and prints made and it is really not that bad. You can have a number of people if you like, putting the cards and envelopes in clear cellophane bags in lots of 12 if you want to save money. What will be a headache for whoever does it, and will add substantially to the cost is distribution! In Canada Ithink you can get special mailing rates, but have no idea about Britain. I would offer to arrange the printing if it were not for the fact that live in Western Canada!

I guess you could sell them at conventions etc. and arrange with Christmas fairs to sell them

Hazel

Yep, a good idea.

Perhaps to help the initial print run costs and so forth, how about get an idea of numbers who would like to buy (and therefore get quotes on the print run) and then some of the willing could purchase theirs in advance, so that there is some cash in the kitty.

Definitely in favour of envelopes.

Probably would need to be available from October. (Good grief: talking of Christmas 1914 already!)

Thank you all for your response.

I think Kate's idea of keeping the costs down by looking for a free image (like Sepoy's kind offer of scans of his original cards) is good, although this would mean finding someone to produce the cards. I also agree with Hazel that it would be a big mistake to sell them without envelopes as people are too busy to go looking for envelopes, particularly coming up to Christmas. As for her idea of a number of people putting cards and envelopes in cellophane bags in lots, I for one would be happy to help with this although it would, as Hazel has already said, add substantially to the distribution costs as well as giving those of us happy to help with this some headaches.

Alternatively, if one company could produce the image on the card, with whatever you would wish to put on the back (GWF/ LLT/ fourteeneighteen/ TheGWF and the Centenery or whatever the Mods wish to put there) and package them in packs of 10, the only problem remaining is distribution.

After seeing favourable responses from some members of the Forum, I hope I wasnt too presumptuous by contacting the producer of the 1914 Christmas Truce card on their website for an initial enquiry, as we need to start somewhere. I received a call back today asking what we were looking for. So I am coming back to you to ask this question before I try to get further information on costs, ideas etc.

For example, if the Moderators agree this is a good idea and there are enough members who are happy to support the purchase of the cards, would we know how many to order and who would place and pay for the order? Obviously, the more cards ordered the greater the discount, so off the top of my head I asked for an initial quote for 5,000, 10,000, 15,000 single cards. These would be packed in 10s and could be sent to one delivery address or several, I suggested perhaps 10 addresses although it would depend how many members would volunteer to help with this? The company said they would get back to me later today.

Then there would be the distribution and how would members order the cards and from whom? Assuming there would be 10+ members willing to distribute, would they take payment for the cards perhaps adding a small postage charge and pay the amounts received to the GWF? Any other ideas as to how this could be achieved? Timing would also need to be considered to allow cards to be sent by less expensive surface mail to countries like Australia, Canada and the States.

I'm now starting to wish I hadnt thought of this idea realizing it will need to be thought through but am still happy to help if it adds to the GWF coffers, taking guidance from all of you. If you think the idea is a damp squib I'm not easily offended.

Just noticed Nigel's post there and his idea of getting numbers of how many who would like to buy and the amount they would order is a good one, also the idea of purchasing in advance to put money in the kitty. Now that's another thing, I suppose there would need to be a kitty before placing the orders?

Anne

If this runs (and I speak as the production line dogsbody distributor of the Forum badge, perhaps we could think about organising social events around the country later this year to sell them. Indeed, I think there'll be plenty of opportunities come August.

That IS a good idea Kate! Following on from my last post, the company I contacted today has come back to me by email with prices. I have not included the person/company name as I feel it inappropriate to do so on an open forum. I am also aware of the rules of the Forum regarding advertising. However, if any member wishes to have this information please PM me and I will be more than happy to supply it. In the meantime I look forward to your response regarding the quotation. The attachment mentioned is identical to the image in my first post.

Anne

P.S. Could we have a potential new member here?.................

"Thank you for your interest in our card "Christmas Truce 1914"

The card is 114 x 160mm and the verse reads "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year"

Please find below our trade prices for the purchase of the various quantities as requested;

500 packs of ten cards (5,000 cards) with envelopes and backing slip = £1.43 per pack

1,000 packs of ten = £1.39 per pack

1,500 packs of ten = £1.35 per pack

Delivery to the first delivery address is free, any subsequent deliveries are dependant on the size i.e. weight of the box but, on average, are usually about £10.

All cards can display a message or details or a logo of The Great War Forum and/or The Long, Long Trail on page 2 or 4 of the card - included in the above price

I have attached a copy of the image to show to your fellow members.

On your recommendation I had a look at your excellent forum and the Long Long Trail website and showed my youngest son information about my grandfather's (his great grandfather's) regiment at Gallipoli.

All my details are below - please feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have.

Thanks,

Regards,"

Good to know your supplier found things of family interest on the GWF Anne.

15000 cards seems a lot, but then again, this year in particular we should be able to shift a few to the general public. Perhaps we could have a member price, and a general sales price.

Which begs the question, what do members think would be a fair price? Furthermore, expressing interest is different from making an actual order. We do really need to make this a viable financial exercise.

If they are going to be sold at events and talks, I think a nice round Fiver would be OK to avoid having to deal with loose change.

I agree. That puts them within the reach of just about everyone. The coffers of the Forum could probably stand a "Rainy Day Fund"!

Don't you think that two different prices is complicating life a bit?

Hazel

Possibly. I was just thinking of a perk for Forum members. I agree that a round fiver keeps things simple - I don't know how that equates with Canadian dollars - and then there's international postage...

• Admin

A well known online auction site could be an answer to international sales. Get a postage price for the required postal zones and use the site to calculate the prices and postage.

A member price vs a non-mmber price will require some thinking.

Possibly. I was just thinking of a perk for Forum members. I agree that a round fiver keeps things simple - I don't know how that equates with Canadian dollars - and then there's international postage...

The International postage will likely be a factor for some people, but in that by and large your target audience is British, with possible some outlets in France? and Belgium? I don't think it is a major consideration. In Canadian dollars they would be close to $10.00 plus postage.

Hazel

A well known online auction site could be an answer to international sales. Get a postage price for the required postal zones and use the site to calculate the prices and postage.

A member price vs a non-mmber price will require some thinking.

Yes it would because if you were to raise the price to six pounds for non members you are getting into the range of not being an "impulse" purchase not to mention "change", and the same would be true of 4 pounds.

H

Count me in,

as lots of people think it’s a good idea why not get members to send cash in advance to help pay for the printing costs, then when printed make available 1st to those who put out their hard earned cash then remainder put up for grabs..

Biff :thumbsup::poppy:

It's a good idea and count me in. Would it be possible to have a mixed pack of cards with different images or are you going with one image? For the free 'no copyright' issue, I see Sepoy generously offered scans of postcards and also quite a few of our members take really stunning photos of battlefields in the snowy winter months. Maybe one or two would contribute some royalty free ones?