Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lt Gerald Eugene Belmont - Tank Corp (comm. 3.2.18)

JOSTURM

Gerald was a cousin, and son of Music Hall impresario, George Eugene Belmont aka George Archer Blanchett.

Born 11 October 1898, Gerald enlisted a Pte no 7546 in HAC, then Pte no. 117210 MGC, and was later commissioned as 2Lt in Tank Corp on 3.2.18.

He was eligible for SWB on 14.2.19. He left the army and became an Advertising agent living mostly in Kensington. He married Audrey Field, no children.

i am keen to find any fresh information on his service with the Tank Corps and if possible a photograph of him as an Officer ??

Thanks

Josturm.

Only one hit on a BELMONT G in Officer service files- WO339/117719.

Someone here with a WO338 Index may be able to say if it's your man.

Long number is 221144 and yes, WO339/117719 is linked.

Hope the file has not been overly weeded

Thanks all. Would Belmont have been a member of a tank crew if so which and what battles would he have been involved in ?

Can I get a copy of the evidence to his gassing in August 1918 which I was not aware of. If there are any details of his CCs, or hospitalisation, that would be useful. I presume he would have gone home to England in September 1918 to recover and hence the Feb 1919 Swb.

Any photos of him as a Tank Corp Ooficer at all ?

Thanks Guys, very useful. I have to go to Kew to see the officers file I guess ?

josturm

Photos are rare and normally are only held by the family unless the officer was killed or decorated for bravery.

The dates of injury link to the battle of Amiens - follow this link to learn more

https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/narratives/narratives-by-battalion/e-5th-battalion

Occasionally an officer is listed by name in War Histories but you will need to visit Kew for full details of his service

Thanks a lot. Do you know of any group photographs of Officers of the Tank Corps battalion at all ?

Josturm

Josturm

The mention of him being gassed is in the 5th Tank Battalion War diaries under reference WO95. You may also find his service records at the National Archives which should give you the dates to hospital etc.

17tankman

There is a book by Major WHL Watson DSO MC called "A Company of Tanks" in which he recalls his time with "E" aka 5th Battalion Tank Corps. Reprinted by Naval & Military Press its makes an interesting read.