Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trowbridge Artillery Barracks

REME245

I am doing some research into Trowbridge Barracks in preparation for a plaque we are hoping to get erected as part of the WW1 commemorations this year.

I am looking for details of the units of the RHA and others which left these barracks to go to the Boer War and the two World Wars. Prior to WW1 I have found reference to H and K Batteries but also B Battery.

Also if anyone has any photographs which are not on the web.

Any help or suggestions on sources would be appreciated.

118 Field Battery from 26 Brigade RFA were stationed at Trowbridge Barracks in March 1902.

During the Great War it was the home of No: 1 Officer Cadet School, RGA. The War Poet Edward Thomas was stationed here in 1916 he was killed in 1917 in France.

See: http://cymru1914.org/en/view/manuscripts/3671610

The Boer War Memorial for the 81st Battery RFA is in St. James' Church, Trowbridge, it lists 15 men who died in that war.

A number of men who died whilst serving at the Barracks are buried in the Cemetery at the Down, Trowbridge.

During WW2 it was occupied by the US Army - Squadron 'H', 17th Replacement Control Depot Squadron 'I', 94th Infantry Division Artillery, 15th Cavalry Group, 301st Infantry Regiment, 28th General Hospital and 53rd General Hospital

Dave

Your forgetting the 'Special Operators Training Battalion' Royal Signals which was stationed in the barracks from 1939 to January 1943.

They trained the operators who intercepted the messages which Bletchley Park translated.

I believe two TA battalions of the Wiltshire Regiment were also mobilised through the barracks at the start of WW1.

Also the Wiltshire element of the Imperial Yeomanry were trained at the Barracks.

There is a lot of history for such a small site and I am trying to get the wording on the plaque correct.

Edward Thomas will be mentioned but I prefer 'Lights Out'.

Your forgetting the 'Special Operators Training Battalion' Royal Signals

No I'm not - I did not know that :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

The Plaque is now being unveiled on the 26th June at 11.00. The Edward Thomas Fellowship have expressed a wish to send a representative.

• 6 months later...

I presented a talk on Trowbridge Barracks to the local Civic Society last night and one of the stories that came back to me through the audiance was that the band leader Henry Hall was a Cadet at the Barracks during WW1.

The closest I have found through internet searches was that he was a RA officer cadet during WW1 but not identifying the School. Can anyone else confirm that he attended No.1 RGA Officer Cadet School at Trowbridge during WW1?

• 5 years later...

this comes five years after the conversation, but, in case it's of interest: the great theatre director and writer Granville Barker was a cadet at Trowbridge. his letters describe scenes from life in the barracks, including a description of the Major in charge (in September 1916), 'a fat person and a humourist' but 'a jolly sort'.  I'd dearly like to find out his name, if anyone knows...

The avant-gard (later official war artist) Wyndham Lewis also attended Trowbridge OCS.