Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"In quest of a shell" article by Newlay Shell Factory no 1 ord

munchkin

"By the way, as your hr-grandfather was in charge of pay, you might be interested in a copy of a pay advance my gr-grandfather received which is below. The Secretary who signed it is an A ?Bevilly?, and must have worked closely with Arthur."

It's Alf Bentley's signature... as mentioned in post 13

Regards

Ian

Hello,

I have a frail copy of The Shell Magazine - (its just taken me a little time to find it).

A Collinson was a member of the Magazine Committee. He was on the Finance Sub-Committee. His title was Hon. Business Manager.

The article he wrote is on the centre spread. It is titled In Quest of a Shell - A Fantasy with a Frail Foundation of Fact.

There is a small portrait drawing of a chap who I presume is the author and I'd be 99% certain its the man pictured above.

Incidentally A Bentley was also on the Finance Sub-Committee, he was the Hon. Treasurer.

Hopefully of some interest,

Spud

Hi Spud,

We must have the right guy on the photos, from that caricature - even the rounded collar matches.

I'm pretty sure I've found Arthur in the large group photo as well.

He's sitting behind and to the left of the left upright shell. He's right there in the centre, presumably with all of the bigwigs, so he must have been high up in the chain of command.

For some reason I can't upload any more images here, so I've put a link below to a higher resolution crop of Arthur from this photo:

Download

Hello LBV,

There are similar group photo's in the magazine, although I don't think any are exactly the same as those posted by yourself. There is a staff picture, and a group shot of A shop employee's and similar for B shop. There are very small pictures of varnish room staff and those in the forgings store. Interestingly there was both a girls football and cricket team which presumably reflects the make up of the workers. Did you mention your Gt grandfathers name ? The majority of articles were wrote by employee's who are named, I'll check and see if he contributed anything.

Regards,

Spud

Hi Spud,

Thanks, that would be wonderful.

I think you've had a look for my Gr Grandfather for me in the past, though. He was named Lewis Archibald Buckingham, and he was an examiner of shell fuses.

There are another two family members who may have contributed though. His sister Marjorie Buckingham, and his sister-in-law Kathleen Moore also came up from Norfolk to work at Newlay after he encouraged them,. I don't really know what their duties were. Both Marjorie and Kathie are in the large outdoor group photo, 2nd and 4th from the left at the back in front of two chaps wearing caps.

Your mention of A Shop and B Shop are very intriguing - because I'm guessing that my second picture in post 9 above would be some similar grouping as well. I don't know if you saw that photo, but does this group look at all like either Shop? If there are some similar faces, it may be that I can pin my Lewis to a particular department, my photo being taken later on.

Cheers,

Lewis

P.S. I've added the photo again below.

post-37504-0-97145300-1396180068_thumb.j

Edited by LBV

Lewis,

There are two photographs of both A & B shop employee's. Unfortunately the pictures are taken in the same location, so its not possible to determine anyfeatures of either shop. The pictures are taken outside and I would estimate each picture shows approx. 5 or 6 times as many people as the picture you posted, hence the people are very small and difficult to distinguish. There are two views inside B shop showing a shopfloor with shells and the odd employee working. There is a note suggesting A shop is a duplicate of B and is therefore not illustrated. So cutting a long story short I don't think I can determine if your picture is of A or B shop staff.

Spud

p.s If Marcus sends me a message with his email I will send him pictures of his relatives article. I don't think with the picture size limits and my camera that they would be decipherable here.

Thank you Spud Trevor and LBV, for all your analysis, and eairicbloodaxe for pointing me to the IWM, I am very grateful.

Reminiscences

No worries Reminiscences.

Let me know if you would like higher resolution images for your book, and I will be happy to upload copies to yousendit or something similar for you. You're free to use them as you see fit, although it would be great if you remembered my Gr Grandfather somewhere in the notes. And that goes for anyone else who's interested.

Are you looking to publish the memoirs widely, or is this just a personal family project? I'd love to be updated when you plan to publish as I'd be very interested in a copy. If it's only for private family purposes, is there any chance you'd be willing to share any more content that's strictly to do with Newlay?

I'm very interested in who worked there, and how things were organised, as I had nothing but the vaguest picture of the place until this thread, and I'm interested in learning a bit more.

Just to collect all of the Newlay photos in one place, I've come across another image of some supervisors at Newlay. It was on a blog post about the poster's grandmother, who worked at Newlay :

uncle-bill.jpeg?w=600&h=398

I don't know the full details, but the man standing on the left was Bill, a supervisor, and his mother worked on the factory floor, aged 50. Apparently he wasn't too pleased at seeing her struggling with the shells, but had to keep quiet as his mum was a widow who needed the pay.

Edited by LBV

• 1 year later...

An update on the whereabouts of the magazine:

I tried to order scans from the Imperial War magazine, but they directed me to an online database by Proquest called "Trench Journals and Magazines of the First World War".

It's an institutional database that I'm sure would be interest to most people on this board as it contains hundreds of different titles, all scanned and searched by keywords (no OCR).

I was able to access it from my home via my NSW state library card here in Australia, as it's one of their subscribed databases, so I can't give you a URL that would actually work. If you're a member of your own State/County/National library you may be able to access these eResources in the same way. Otherwise you may be able to access it from terminals in the library itself.

Edited by LBV

• 1 month later...

Hello Glynn,

I know of two in Yorkshire.

There was the Phoenix Dynamo Manufacturing Coy. Ltd at Thornbury in Bradford.

They jointly celebrated Victory and the manufacture of their millionth shell on December 20th 1918.

There was also National Ordnance Factory No 1 at Newlay near Horsforth on the outskirts of Leeds.

Both factories had in house magazines, which promoted camaraderie and helped boost morale, great for providing an insight into the work of the factories.

Hopefully of interest,

Regards,

Spud

I know this is an old thread but is there a name for any of the in-house journals? I am studying the in-house journal The Bombshell for my MRes at Sheffield Hallam University.

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

I know of 2 but not from Sheffield!

Georgetown Gazette (my avatar) and Cardonald News

That's excellent news dink and pip. Do you have any information on them such as surviving copies?

Many thanks Don!

Hi Glynn

Have you seen this recent Historic England report on the First World War National Factories: http://research.historicengland.org.uk/Report.aspx?i=15388&ru=%2fResults.aspx%3fp%3d1%26n%3d10%26t%3dfactories%26ns%3d1

We have the National Shell Filling Factory No.5 here in Gloucestershire.

Cheers

Tim

I was lucky enough to see (and hold) the copy of The Shell magazine in 2015 whilst researching The Bombshell, the in-house journal of Thos Firth &Son NPF. Fascinating stuff!

• 1 year later...

Hi, Is there a list of employees for the Newlay shell factory?  I believe my ggrandfather, T W Brier, was a loco driver there 1914-1918. he'd be in his late 60's then, and perhaps my grandmother, Martha E Carpenter or Kendall aged 18-22.  Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks, 

Janette

• 4 months later...

Hi joined just so i could post this as it might be of interest to you all. The council are wanting to demolish some if not all of the remaining buildings to replace them with a phone mast

• 5 years later...
On 06/01/2016 at 14:21, dink_and_pip said:

Hi Dink,

Is it possible you have any copies of the Georgetown Gazette?