Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BEST WE FORGET: POMMY INSULT TO WW1 DIGGERS

john jerome mcmanus

well who did the BBQ then?

I fear that given the somewhat dour puritantical and temperance supporting nature of many of the War Cabinet BBQs in the gardens of Downing Street were unlikely instead possibly impromptu prayer meetings at which many Australians like those I have worked with in the past would have felt uncomfortable. Perhaps therein lies the answer to my question! Edited by centurion

I think it is about time we ceased all this inter continental nit picking about who did what, where or when and concentrated on every ones contribution to the great war. Didn't matter where anyone served or what battle

they fought all of them suffered severe privations and a large percentage of them paid the ultimate price. Ultimately armed forces of all nations didn't have a say in where they fought but where they were needed at

the time.

I can’t believe a so called historian has such an ignorant and inaccurate view. The British were not ’in retreat’ in July, far from it, it was largely British troops who stopped the German offensives in March and April

I am afraid that's not the only view to have gained currency....Look at the uneducated view of the Yanks here; they all think that if the Americans didn't come in in 1917, the Germans would have finished them (British) off!

• Admin

I think it is about time we ceased all this inter continental nit picking about who did what, where or when and concentrated on every ones contribution to the great war. Didn't matter where anyone served or what battle

they fought all of them suffered severe privations and a large percentage of them paid the ultimate price. Ultimately armed forces of all nations didn't have a say in where they fought but where they were needed at

the time.

I doubt many members would argue with these sentiments. There have been many valid points raisedin this thread and each deserve their own thread but this one is no longer the place to do that.

I'm going to lock it now.

Glen