Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BEST WE FORGET: POMMY INSULT TO WW1 DIGGERS

john jerome mcmanus

It looks like being a very long five years. I just hope I can stick it out.

Keith

Nah. All be over by Christmas.

Well said, King George V.

The worst thing Britain ever did, was to weaken its ties to the ' Old Commonwealth ', all the politically motivated importing from the ' New Commonwealth ' has done, is weaken and change Britain for the worse.

LF

post-63666-0-97168900-1389301519_thumb.j

Actually, has anyone heard of Murray Rowlands before? "Author and Commentator" - so is Gary Lineker.

Good to know that Australia has its own version of the 'Daily Mail'.

Actually, has anyone heard of Murray Rowlands before? "Author and Commentator" - so is Gary Lineker.

He's trying to sell a book - a novel, based on a couple of Kiwi uncles.

Sez it all. I'm not going to advertise the title.

Goodnight Vienna.

He's trying to sell a book - a novel, based on a couple of Kiwi uncles.

Sez it all. I'm not going to advertise the title.

Goodnight Vienna.

Edit - not Lineker.

My British Great Uncle proudly served and died with the Light Horse , joining up just 2 years after arriving for a new life in Queensland.

Nothing other than respect for the ANZACs and all those that rallied in the old country's time of need.

Let's keep the sledging on the cricket field.

Among all this vitriol and finger-pointing and national insecurity I wonder if anyone will spare a thought for the poor old English soldiers. If memory serves the English were the largest national contingent of the British Empire in the Great War and suffered proportionately. Half of them didn't even volunteer for the privilege.

It must be a thing of great curiosity to this journalist (and those he so freely quotes) why so many Englishmen died in the War given it was won by the ANZACs. I assume he has never stood at the Helles memorial or the Menin Gate. I assume he also doesn't include the large minority of British born ANZACs in the list of those who will be insulted.

We should brace ourselves for four years' worth of this nonsense...

MG

I am sure you mean British soldiers

khaki

My British Great Uncle proudly served and died with the Light Horse , joining up just 2 years after arriving for a new life in Queensland.

Nothing other than respect for the ANZACs and all those that rallied in the old country's time of need.

Let's keep the sledging on the cricket field.

Ian, you're quite right and illustrate some important points. Many of the ANZACs were in fact recent "pom" migrants. This is a fact that a certain clique of republican oriented, anti British, Aussie hacks choose to ignore. They are the same school who extend anti Brit feeling onto every field; the cricket field, the rugby field and the battlefield!

Chris C

Nah. All be over by Christmas.

Bahahahaha.

I agree we keep the sledging on the cricket field....these individuals don't speak for all of us.

Rgds

Tim D

Bahahahaha.

I agree we keep the sledging on the cricket field....these individuals don't speak for all of us.

Rgds

Tim D

Tim

I agree.

Cheers

Tony

G'day once again,

As I expected hackles were raised and the responses were predictable (and rightly so).

Today's issue of The Telegraph features this rebuttal by Paul Madden, the British High Commissioner to Australia, titled:

'Britain does recognise ANZAC Diggers sacrifice'

"Your report suggesting Britain will paly=down the role of Aussie diggers in World War 1 is completely incorrect.. . .

Britain fully recognises the sacrifice made by the Anzacs in World War 1 and we understand and respect the importance of the Anzac spirit in the national consciousness of Australia and New Zealand.

PM Cameron has said "I am committed to ensuring that our centenary commemoration properly recognise Commonwealth contributions and the sacrifice they made."

Our two governments have been working closely together on plans for World War 1 commemorations. These will recognise the role of the Anzacs at Gallipoli and on the Western Front.

The Gallipoli centenary in April 2015 will of course be marked in London as well as at Gallipoli and across Australia.

The minister responsible for Britain's World War 1 centenary commemorations, Dr Andrew Morrison, MP, visited Australia last October to discuss plans with his Australian counterpart Senator Michael Ronaldson. I and my team at the High Commission in Canberra have been working closely with the Anzac Centenary Advisory Board, the Australian War Memorial and the Department of Veterans Affairs."

Regards

Pop

(still no mention of Canada!)

We can do our own thing!

Hazel C

We can do our own thing!

Hazel C

Hazel,

You are correct, lets's not forget the Canadians.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-91692000-1389329363_thumb.j

post-63666-0-12115300-1389329383_thumb.j

My guess is that in the UK and Ireland all we will see of 1914-2014 commemorations are politicians using trips to France as opportunities for sound bites, hijacking the whole event.

Those that have any knowledge of the Great War immediately associate Canada , Newfoundland etc with 2nd Ypres, the Somme, Vimy etc etc etc. again, the respect and recognition is a given.

I really don't know what the fuss is about. We should rise above the huffings and puffings of the obviously ignorant.

Silly woman MP, Abbott , D - 'my interest in WW1 started with Tory MP Alan Clark's book' :( Gawd help us all.

In my previous post I was remiss in not mentioning all those who suffered after WW1 and also the Canadians :D . Oh yes and the French troops on Gallipoli.

In fact the 11th Div were attached to the Canadian Corps during the last 100 days, so I will in future mention the Canadians far and wide.

Also the English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish troops who were lumped into one group - British :lol:

Those that have any knowledge of the Great War immediately associate Canada , Newfoundland etc with 2nd Ypres, the Somme, Vimy etc etc etc. again, the respect and recognition is a given.

I really don't know what the fuss is about. We should rise above the huffings and puffings of the obviously ignorant.

Agree Ian, but the ignorant are the ones who will be leading the commemorations and using them to further their own agenda's

Steve

I don't follow your comment against Dianne Abbott. What's wrong with her becoming interested in the Great War as a result of reading Donkeys?

But your post quotes her talking about how her interest was started and in her case it started with Donkeys. There is nothing unbalanced about that, we all have to start somewhere.

Perhaps Steve would like to give us a list of approved books with which we should start.

I know exactly what my Grandfather (7th Field Coy, R.E. 1914) would have said about all this - I heard his views back in the 60's. I could not repeat them here or in any public forum, such is the stranglehold successive governments and the "establishment" have placed on this aspect of free speech. I'm only surprised the Australians have had the nerve to protest.

Edwin