Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dating a SMLE

ADMIRAL BENBOW

Hi all,

this is a request for help from a newbie whose knowledge of rifles is virtually nil. Some years ago I bought, in a sudden surge of romanticism, an SMLE Mk III deac. I'm just wondering, having read most of the posts here, whether it is a genuine weapon and if so is it actually a British Army weapon as it purports to be.

As far as marks are concerned it has the serial number 9444 on the bayonet lug, at the rear of the barrel (under the hand guard) and immediately behind the barrel. It has a mark on the rear band (the one with the safety/ trigger guard attached) which consists of a crown over GR over1917 over SMLE over MK III*.There are various other small marks (the wood of the butt has an 'R' under the WD arrow. The sight (which appears to be a standard early sight but without windage wheel) has J 3402 stamped underneath). I'm aware that all this furniture could have been replaced, but I'm hoping that the 9444 without any prefix might be diagnostic. If necessary I can try and take some photos to attach later, but any info would be much appreciated.

Serial number is not really diagnostic as the production numbers were so high there are multiple sequences with and without letter prefixes.

This more or less tells you what you have " crown over GR over1917 over SMLE over MK III* " (actually I think your will find it is ShtLE stamped there not SMLE)

This stamping - without a manufacturer name (Enfield, BSA Co, LSA, Lithgow, Ishapore) would be found only on a "Peddled" scheme rifle manufactured by SSA (Standard Small Arms)

If you hold the rifle in front of you and look down on it on the left hand side of the back of the "boltway" you will probably see the SSA stamping.

The crown used in this stamping is squarer and more stylized than all the others -- see below:

ssacypher.jpg.ae4a1ed769672c5632dbd9831e2c2f7f.jpg 

For comparison- a 1918 BSA (see crown and maker name)

1918BSA.jpg.d77d2b1520322abf394acf64793f42dd.jpg

Stamplocation.jpg.a32c2d9f8633b4f9f7bc5d28f4ebc6ef.jpg

ssamark.jpg.5df91ab7631d944d08b005f6196ae79d.jpg

Hope this helps!

Chris

You are exactly right! It has SSA stamped between the bolt and the safety catch and the crown is as you said. But what do you mean by 'peddled' scheme. I realise from other comments in this thread that the serial number is not diagnostic (shame. It would be nice to track which units the weapon had been issued to.) But thanks for your comprehensive answer.

If you put Peddled Scheme into the search engine for the forum you will come up with lots of threads where this is discussed - but about the most concise, detailed and accurate comes from the late TonyE.  The scheme began as an attempt to break the state monopoly on rifle production by setting up a private company to supply rifles - from the outset this ran into difficulties -- I'll let TonyE take up the story here: CLICK HERE

Chris