Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

50th (Northumbrian) Divisional Train, Army Service Corps.

bigronhartley

Hello,
I am seeking help researching the career of Lt Col Edmund Walker Renny Pinkney, DSO,TD, DL, JP who commanded the 50th Divisional Train, Army Service Corps. He was a member of the Pinkney Family who were Shipbrokers in Sunderland, but moved to Newcastle where he was involved with ship building and repair; he spent most of his career with Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson, Ltd and was in charge of the Dry Docks Department at Wallsend. He died on the 21 October, 1940 at his home in Jesmond, Newcastle. He was well known in Ship Building and Military circles in the North East and was also Superintendent of the Special Constabulary. I would be most grateful for any help relating to his Military and Civilian life, so if there is anyone with an interest in the 50th Division or from the North East who can help or point me in the right direction please. I would also appreciate any help in locating a photo of Lt Col E W R Pinkney and/or of the Officers of the 50th Divisional Train, Army Service Corps. Thanks.
Regards
Ron

Ron

The war diary has not yet been digitized so can only be viewed at Kew. The reference can be found at the link below.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7354707

This diary would however give a fair bit of information as to where he and his unit would have served on active service.

The Royal Logistic Corps Museum at Deepcut may possibly have a photo of the unit if you enquire but I wouldn't bank on it.

Kind regards

Colin

Hello Ron

Although War Diaries rarely mention other ranks by name, the comings and goings of officers are normally entioned, so you could well be lucky.

Ron

Hello Colin and Ron

Thanks for the information regarding the War Diary. I would very much like to obtain a photo of Lt Col Edmund Walker Renny Pinkney, DSO,TD, DL, JP and/or of the Officers of the 50th Divisional Train, Army Service Corps.

Regards

Ron

• 9 months later...

Hello

Still hoping that someone with an interest in the Northumbrian Division/Newcastle Units in the Great war might be able to help with locating sources for researching Lt Col Edmund Walker Renny Pinkney, DSO,TD,DL,JP who commanded the 50th Divisional Train, Army Service Corps. I am particularly keen to locate a photo of the Officers of this unit prior to embarkation for France. Thanks.

Regards

Ron

• 5 years later...

He was involved with the RNAS as a technical advisor in November 1917. Here are the records & you can download them from the National Archives for free at the moment. Sorry, no photo unless he was at Kingsnorth at the end of the war and you think you could pick hip out on the whole staff photo.

ADM 273/1/239: Pinkney E W R DSO b[blank], Entered Air Service 5.11.17. Lt Com. DSO, Principle Technical Advisor to Officer in charge. Kingsnorth 5.11.17.

AIR 76/405/95: [only name recorded].

AIR 76/405/96: E W R Pinkney DSO ASC (TF) Mentioned 1.1.16, DSO 1.1.17, Mentioned Sir D Haig France 4.1.17, Principle Technical Advisor to Officer in charge. Kingsnorth 5.11.17.

Edited by Tina Bilbe

Thanks Tina for your reply. I might be able to recognise him if you have a photo. If in uniform he would be wearing the ribbon of the DSO

Regards

Ron

Edited by bigronhartley

• 5 months later...

Sorry I didn't pick this up earlier Ron. I was sent a very good set of scans of this photograph, attached it here. If you spot him please ID him for me so I can put a face to the name in my research doc.

All the best

Tina

Kgsnth01-start.JPG

Kgsnth02.JPG

Kgsnth03.JPG

Kgsnth04.JPG

Kgsnth05.JPG

Kgsnth06.JPG

Kgsnth07.JPG

Kgsnth08.JPG

Kgsnth09-end.JPG

8 hours ago, bigronhartley said:

Thanks Tina, much appreciated. What year was this taken ? Regards, Ron

The fifth panel down says Dec 1918.

Thanks, spotted it soon after asking the question. Do you have any photos of the 50 th Divisional ASC Officers ? Regards, Ron

15 hours ago, bigronhartley said:

Thanks, spotted it soon after asking the question. Do you have any photos of the 50 th Divisional ASC Officers ? Regards, Ron

Unfortunately not. The only 50th Division Officer photos I've seen are in the Wyrall Divisional History, and there are no ASC amongst them.