Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Furne's Road Ypres

Conor Dodd

I have a photo postcard of Furnes Road and the Watertower Ypres showing the place almost flattened I think I have an idea where it is but I amn't sure can anyone tell me where ? also I have another one taken just after the war of the post office in Ypres showing it in a pretty bad state where was it during the war ?:blink:

Conor :D

Conor.

The post office was at number 70 Rijselsestraat (towards the Lille Gate) near to where my favourite ypres pub "Ter Posterie" now stands.

Dave.

Conor,

... and the Furnes Road is what is now called "Haiglaan" (Haig Avenue), the first kilometer or so of the road Ypres - Furnes (which is the French name for what is "Veurne" in Dutch (Flemish), a small town near the seaside).

The Water Castle (Water Tower) was on the corner of the "Furnes Road" and the "Elverdingestraat", appr. 1/2 kilometer west of St Martin's Cathedral. And a few meters from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission offices. And ... from the Ypres prison. (Could that be the reason that Dave's favourite pub is on the other side of the town centre ? ;)

Aurel

And ... from the Ypres prison. (Could that be the reason that Dave's favourite pub is on the other side of the town centre ? ;)

...Could be Aurel!!!

As a "semi-regular" at Club Brugge's(my "adopted" Belgian club) home games (especially the one against And****cht :angry: ), I've seen the Belgian police at their best (God, they're good!!!).

After seeing these boys in action, I don't even want to sense their prison service!!!!!!

For this reason, you may be right. Maybe my 6th sense is telling me to stay away from that part of town!!!!! ( although, "Ter Posterie" is a damn good pub!!!!).

Dave :D

Hi Dave,

Quite a relief to read that you only "saw" these Belgian boys in action. Not : felt ! ;)

Anyway, keep on the right side (of town).

Aurel

Certainly will, Aurel! :D

Dave