Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt. Charles Rowland Maasdorp, RFC

Beselare

On 28.3.18, 2/Lt. Maasdorp was shot down between Thiepval and Courcelette by Col. Ernst Udet (mentioned in Udet's book, Mein Fliegerleben). He was flying a Sopwith Camel, C.8224 and is commemorated on the Arras Flying Memorial.

His great-newphew Don Maasdorp is coming from South Africa in May this year and is keen to find out where his great-uncle's airfield was. I have no knowledge of this aspect of the war. Can anyone please help?

(Ps: Charles Rowland Maasdorp was the brother of Major Lionel Herbert Maasdorp, DSO, CdeG, of the 75th Siege Battery, S.A.H.A.)

Bob

According to 'The Sky Their Battlefield', Maasdorp was with 43 Squadron which had recently moved to Avesnes-le-Comte. When I visited the site 2 years ago, it was much as it had been in 1918 but there is nothing to show that it was active in WWI.

Roger - thank you for that information. I have looked at the village on the IGN map and cannot see any clue as to where this site might have been. Can you give me some rough clues as to what to look for on the map?

Many thanks

Bob

Bob, Two minor roads run NW towards Manin. One has a 129 spotheight and the other 131, about 1 KM out of Avesnes-le-Comte. Those spotheights mark the opposite corners of the airfield, which was roughly square. The book 'Airfields & Airmen - Arras' has a plan and an overhead photo. If you send your mail address to me at raustin@tesco.net I will send you a few things which may be helpful. Roger.

Thanks Roger. I have found those positions on the IGN map. I have also had a look at a satellite view of the area but as you say, there doesn't appear to be any trace of an airfield. I have sent you my e-mail address and look forward to the information you have.

Bob