Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Moorcroft 42 Squadron

Hambo

I appreciate this one could be a harder to pin down given his rank but I'm trying to piece together the story of Air Mechanic 1st Class Frederick Moorcroft of 42 Squadron who died on the 3rd of August 1917.

His local newspaper at the time says he died on active service but another source (the memorial at his place of work) has him as killed in action. If it was the latter then it may get a mention in an operations diary or the like should such a thing exist, although this seems unlikely given his rank. I would guess that "died on active serve" could mean anything from an air crash to natural causes. If anyone has access to any relevant from the squadron would they mind doing a look up as he's a mystery at the moment

Many thanks John

John

AMI F J Moorcroft (13076) of No 42 Sqn RFC was a wireless operator, so it's likely that he was stationed with an artillery battery to receive signals from the squadron's aircraft. Cpl Benjamin Lawson (10305), also of No 42 Sqn was also killed in action on 3 August 1917, so perhaps they were both victims of counter-battery fire at the same place.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth. I'm off the TNA this week so I'll have a snoop at the operations log if it's there and see what it has. Does sound like a pretty good assumptions of what might have happened

Thanks again John