Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin Raids on Nottinghamshire

John Beech

I'm researching the zeppelin attack on Bennerley Viaduct - need some background info and a fascinating fact or two about zeppelins. I only need max of 250 words for a brief description of the event - I've read a few bits and pieces on this forum, has anybody else got any other info please?

and . . . can anybody point me in the right direction of where to find any relevant images?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Springcat

The attack was undertaken on 31st January 1916 by L20 under the command of Kapitanleutnant Franz Stabbert as it headed towards Ilkeston where bombs dropped in the vicinity of Stanton Ironworks causing two fatalities.

Bennerley Viaduct, which in structure is based on the Eifel Tower was undamaged, although there was damage to the railway at Bennerley Junction.

If you want some more info feel free to PM me.

Regards

John

• 9 months later...
On 11/5/2015 at 09:23, woolamai said:

Any idea where I find the inquest for this ?

James Hall was one of the people killed at the ironworks that night. He was an ironworker, (originally from Shropshire), he was living nearby in Stapleford, he was killed at the "Works". 

Wellington Journal February 12 - 1916

The recent air raid over England included in its victims Mr James Hall, a Shropshire man who was the son of the late Mr T Hall of Mumpern Hill, Priorslee. He was 57 years of age. For a long time he worked at the Priorslee Works as a furnaceman and was a member of the Old Park Brass Band, being a very skilled instrumentalist, but subsequently went to Derbyshire. He was following his occupation when a fragment of a Zeppelin bomb struck him and instantly killed him. In an interview with a Journal representative, Mrs Rowley, who lives at Oakengates, is a sister of the deceased, and who had been to her brother's funeral, said that the most remarkable park of the tragic affair was that although there were a large number of men working not many yards away from him, not one of them received the slightest injury, and the works themselves were left intact.

The interment took place on Saturday, the ceremony being attended by a large concourse of deceased's fellow workmen, members of the friendly societies, and sympathising friends. He is survived by his wife and five children. Hi s eldest son enlisted in the Maines? (marines??) at the beginning of the war, and went through the Dardanelles engagements, but although being invalided home and having hospital treatment he was able to attend the burial of his father. In addition to Mrs Rowley, other brothers and sisters of the deceased are Messrs J Hall (St Georges), R Hall (Hanley), W. Hall (St Georges), Mrs Hordley (Hare and Hounds Inn, Watling St, Weillington) Mrs Grocott (Millfields), Mrs Lees (St Georges), and Mrs Houghton (Dover).

The sad event recalls the fact that a little over eleven years ago deceased's father was killed while working at Priorslee Furnaces, he being 74 years of age. At the inquest on the late Mr J Hall, witnesses state that among other things found in his possession was a copy of the previous week's issue of the Journal.

Hi mimosamiminski

Afraid I don't know the answer to that one.

The registration district for Stapleford at the time was Shardlow, just over the border into Derbyshire. However I suspect any inquest would be held in Nottingham? it certainly would be today.

If so, you might find the inquest report in the Nottinghamshire Archive on Castle Meadow Road off Wilford Road in Nottingham.

Regards

John

• 3 years later...

For John Beech - Hi John, I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread. When we were in touch here some years back I asked...

"Quote
"L-17 dropped it first bomb at North Muskham as it flew up the Trent Valley. The first bomb dropped over the city landed on the corner of Cross Street and Dunstan Street in Netherfield, demolishing six houses. The next one landed at Sneinton severing the telephone lines to the AA guns. "

Hi John

In all the bits and pieces I've looked at so far I haven't seen another reference to the first bomb you describe as causing the damage to six houses corner of Cross and Dunstan Street, Netherfield.Do you know what the source is for this?"

I think other things got in the way and we never discussed this one further. I have just recently been looking at the Sept 1916 raid on Nottingham again and would be interested to know the source of the Nethrfield bomb as I have not seen it mentioned elsewhere.

Thanks, Ian

• 1 year later...
On 04/01/2014 at 22:53, John Beech said:

Hi all

I have been researching the Zeppelin raids on Nottinghamshire during the war and have a couple of queries relating to casualties of these raids. On 31st January 1916 L-20, commanded by Kapitanleutnant Stabbert, raided the Bennerley viaduct near Awsworth on the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border. Following this raid, he moved over Ilkeston and dropped bombs on the Stanton Iron Works. Two men were killed and I am trying to find their names and where they are buried. Secondly, on 24th September 1916, L-17 commanded by Kapitanleutnant Kraushaar, attacked Nottingham. There were three fatalities, Alfred Taylor and Rosanna Rogers and Harold Renshaw. Does anyone know where they are buried?

Thank you in anticipation

John

http://www.railwayelectricalservices.co.uk/1916-zeppelin-raids

On 04/01/2014 at 22:53, John Beech said:

Hi all

I have been researching the Zeppelin raids on Nottinghamshire during the war and have a couple of queries relating to casualties of these raids. On 31st January 1916 L-20, commanded by Kapitanleutnant Stabbert, raided the Bennerley viaduct near Awsworth on the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border. Following this raid, he moved over Ilkeston and dropped bombs on the Stanton Iron Works. Two men were killed and I am trying to find their names and where they are buried. Secondly, on 24th September 1916, L-17 commanded by Kapitanleutnant Kraushaar, attacked Nottingham. There were three fatalities, Alfred Taylor and Rosanna Rogers and Harold Renshaw. Does anyone know where they are buried?

Thank you in anticipation

John

http://www.railwayelectricalservices.co.uk/1916-zeppelin-raids

• 11 months later...

Hi all

I am trying to work out if my great-grandmother, Lilian Jackson, was injured in the Zeppelin raid on Nottingham in 1916. She was bedridden for the latter part of her life, with paraplegia. An anecdotal family account suggests this might have been something to do with 'The Zeppelins'.

The family lived in Netherfield, Nottingham until 1917, when they moved to Warrington. As far as I'm aware, there were no Zeppelin raids on Warrington in WWI. I assume therefore - if there is any truth behind the anecdote - that it must have been the zeppelin raid to which this forum thread refers. However, I note that the bombs missed Netherfield. That said, Lilian's husband Arthur worked for London North Western Railway, and I know the railway lines were targeted. She was also a devout methodist, and I note the Canaan Street Primitive Methodist Church was hit. But, the timing of the raid might rule out her being there. 

Is anyone aware of whether the inquest report itself is available somewhere? And / or is anyone aware where I might find information about those injured during the raid? 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Adam

• Admin
1 hour ago, Arg85 said:

Is anyone aware of whether the inquest report itself is available somewhere?

On the 22nd February 1916 The Scotsman newspaper reported the conclusion of the inquest  on the victims of the bombing raid on "a Midlands town" the previous day. The Canaan Street Mission was mentioned so I think we can guess where 'the Midlands  Town' was. I believe the Scotsman archive is free to search but the account is also in the BNA on Find My Past.  As was commonplace the article was syndicated and is reported in a Portsmouth newspaper the same day.

The names of the victims are not recorded but the situation inside the mission when the bomb fell is described in some detail.  No information is given on those who were injured.

The jury recorded "the victims met their death from bombs dropped by enemy aircraft with the rider there was a delay in carrying out the necessary precautions in the lighting department." The evidence of the delay was presented at the Inquest.

Perhaps the local archives could help with a full list of those killed and injured.  Reporting during the war was proscribed by DORA I would think there would be accounts of the funerals, and even a memorial.

As noted at TNA https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/coroners-inquests/

There are no Coroner's Inquests reports online.

It appears extensive research was previously undertaken by @John Beech who may be able to help with the names. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 02/01/2023 at 10:49, Arg85 said:

Hi all

I am trying to work out if my great-grandmother, Lilian Jackson, was injured in the Zeppelin raid on Nottingham in 1916. She was bedridden for the latter part of her life, with paraplegia. An anecdotal family account suggests this might have been something to do with 'The Zeppelins'.

The family lived in Netherfield, Nottingham until 1917, when they moved to Warrington. As far as I'm aware, there were no Zeppelin raids on Warrington in WWI. I assume therefore - if there is any truth behind the anecdote - that it must have been the zeppelin raid to which this forum thread refers. However, I note that the bombs missed Netherfield. That said, Lilian's husband Arthur worked for London North Western Railway, and I know the railway lines were targeted. She was also a devout methodist, and I note the Canaan Street Primitive Methodist Church was hit. But, the timing of the raid might rule out her being there. 

Is anyone aware of whether the inquest report itself is available somewhere? And / or is anyone aware where I might find information about those injured during the raid? 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Adam

Hi Adam - interesting question. When I was researching my book, 'Zeppelin Inferno - The Forgotten Blitz 1916', I wrote up a detailed account on the raid on Nottingham. Amongst all the well known places that suffered bomb damage I found one unusual reference to a bomb exploding near the junction of Dunston and Cross streets in Netherfield. Presumablt this was one of the bombs aimed at the vast Colwick Sidings. Annoyingly I now can't find the reference. I've attached a map - is it close to where your great-grandmother lived?

Unfortunately on most occassions the names of the injured were not preserved - in fact, in many cases nor were those of the dead at a national level. I have been painstakingly trying to construct a list of those lilled while writing my 'Forgotten Blitz' trilogy. I'm working on the 1917 list now while writing the final volume.

Ian

Netherfield A.jpg