Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin Raids on Nottinghamshire

John Beech

Hi dkightley

Thank you for your comments. I bow to your superior knowledge about Mapperley and the housing density at the time. I live the other side of the city and although I know Mapperley I don't know it that well. From what you say, and rereading Aspern's comments, it could be read that 93 properties related to the total and not just to the bomb we now accept fell on Hickling Road.

Kapitanleutnant Kraushaar's is quoted as saying that he dropped eight explosive bombs and eleven incendiaries during his raid, a total of nineteen, so I have been trying to account for them all. Frustratingly, the Nottingham Evening News of 25th September 1916, quotes the figure as fourteen to sixteen in one article and fourteen in another. Although the articles do not name specific streets where the bombs dropped, it is possible to identify those that fell on the railway stations, those that fell on Canaan Street and at least one which fell on Newthorpe Street, and to compare this with information from other sources.

L-17 dropped it first bomb at North Muskham as it flew up the Trent Valley. The first bomb dropped over the city landed on the corner of Cross Street and Dunstan Street in Netherfield, demolishing six houses. The next one landed at Sneinton severing the telephone lines to the AA guns. Two bombs dropped 'on a railway goods depot' which is London Road low level station. Another 'buried itself in the municipal refuse heap' presumably Eastcroft. One landed at the now Midland Station before Kraushaar began his run through the city centre. At least one fell on Newthorpe Street killing Alfred Taylor Rogers, and his wife Rosanna, and two fell on the Primitive Methodist Church in Canaan Street, one, an incendiary, set it on fire and another fell through the floor but failed to explode. Bombs also fell on Carrington Street, Greyfriar Gate, one damaged The Caledonian Hotel on Lister Gate and another destroyed a warehouse at the junction of Lister Gate and damaged Weavers on Castle Gate. One landed on Wheeler Gate,and another landed at Victoria Station. Allowing for the one that landed on Hickling Road, we can account for at least seventeen of the bombs dropped. Based on other posts and your observations, I am happy to accept that the bomb which hit Mapperley Brickworks was not the same one that caused the damage on Hickling Road, implying that at least two bombs landed in the Mapperley Area. This would make eighteen, thereby exceeding the amount listed in the press, but one less than Kraushaar said he dropped, assuming he was including the one at North Muskham.

I think I can now account for the missing bomb. The newspaper reports that 'Harold Renshaw was in bed with his wife when a bomb crashed through their ceiling, setting fire to his clothing. Mr Renshaw was so badly burned, he died soon afterwards in hospital. His wife, lying beside him, was uninjured.' Another report describes him as 'One of the dead is a soldier, who was in bed with his wife. An incendiary bomb came through the roof and fell on his chest. He was killed outright and his wife escaped uninjured'. I looked on the 1911 census and there was only a Harold William Renshaw resident in the city at that time. I checked the BMD records and he is listed as 62079 Private Harold William Renshaw of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) Depot. The CWGC shows that he was the husband of Ethel Millicent Parier (formerly Renshaw), of 8, Rose Street, Dame Agnes Street, St. Ann's Well Road. Nottingham. He is buried in Nottingham Church (Rock) Cemetery on Mansfield Road. Unfortunately, I have yet to establish whether he was living with his wife in St Anns when he was killed, or whether she moved there when she remarried, as this could potentially mean a third bomb fell in the Mapperley/St Anns area. Therefore, the bomb that killed Private Renshaw makes nineteen, as even if he lived in Newthorpe Street, he could not have been killed by the same bomb as that which killed the Rogers' as Mrs Rogers was blown out of the house and several properties were destroyed which implied that that bomb was one of the explosive ones. I will get his death certificate from the Registry Office to confirm where he lived. All I need now is where Alfred Taylor Rogers and his wife Rosanna are buried.

I will also send a copy of his death certificate and the information I have to the CWGC with a view to having his additional information records updated to include the fact that Private Renshaw was killed due to enemy action.

Regards

John

Hi

I am involved with T2T and also Carlton Remembers WW1. On 28th March at Carlton Central Junior School we are holding a WW1 Heritage Day so I would like to use the Mapperley bombing, so ok if I use the info posted?

No problem

I have prepared a full article for T2T and have more info and photos including the officers of the airships and the airships themselves. Feel free to contact me if you want some further help

Regards

John

John, that would be great if you able to share this info and perhaps display some of your project at heritage day? or any of the events listed?

Programme of events to commemorate the

100th Anniversary of WW1

Friday 28th March Carlton WW1 Heritage Day at Carlton Central Junior School

Mayor of Gedling & children sow Flanders poppy seeds & public to bring WW1 memorabilia

Sat 5th April 09.00 -13.00 Carlton Library Manor Rd

Introduction to WW1- meet the Sherwood Rangers & local WW1 enthusiasts

Monday 12th May 13.00 to 19.00 Carlton Library Manor Rd

Public to bring in WW1 memorabilia for valuation

Sat 9th August “The Old Contemptibles Dinner”. Commemorate the 100th anniversary of WW1 with the Royal Yeomanry Band, “Machine Gun Post Bar” & late disco. Tickets £20

Monday 1st September 13.00 to 19.00 Carlton Library Manor Rd

WW1 Uniforms & medals day

Friday 19th September Carlton Remembers WW1 Day at Carlton Central School.

Lord Lt invited. School Choir perform WW1 songs. Peace Tree planting & School Exhibition.

Saturday 20th September Tesco Carlton. Bag packing to raise funds for WW1 projects

Friday 3rd Oct to Mon 6th SRY & Carlton Central School trip to “Wipers”. Wreath laying at Menin Gate visit Tyne Cot, In Flanders Field Museum & the graves of Carlton’s war dead.

Mon 20th October 13.00 to 19.00 Carlton Library Manor Rd. “The trip to Wipers”

Saturday 8th November. 09.00-13.00 Carlton Library Manor Rd.

“Time to Remember WW1” The stories of the men & women of Carlton

Weds 12th November 19.00 “Far, far from Wipers” The Council House, Nottingham

Songs, Poems & WW1 music. Carlton Male Voice Choir, Carlton Central children & SRY

Saturday 15th November “Far far from Wipers “Carlton Academy School

Songs, Poems & WW1 music. Carlton Male Voice Choir, Carlton Central children & SRY

This map was posted on another forum at my request. I am told it is 1915. Albert Villas is on the North west side of Hickling Road assuming North is top. If you look up from the D in Hickling roaD, Albert Villas is the 2nd building along, the left hand of a pair of semi's. It would seem likely that the right hand of the semi's would have been badly damaged too but I have no knowledge of this.

post-21757-0-70805000-1393748646_thumb.j

South Staffs

Many thanks for the map. It certainly helps support the theory that more than one bomb dropped on Mapperley. I have sent for Harold Renshaw's death certificate to confirm where he lived. I will post the details when received.

Regards

John

Trooper

I would be happy to attend or supply information for your one of your events as appropriates and dependent on existing commitments.

Regards

John

• 3 weeks later...

John, Aspern, the information about the attack on Retford is a hand written account in the reference library at Retford. Now that I have more time I intend to spend more time researching not only this subject but many others. I can expand on some stuff, a teacher when I was at school(in the sixties)took us to examine "Gas House" bridge and the ajoining pub the Packet Inn both close to where the Gas Works once stood, it was possible to see slight damage on both structures. But an amusing or not story is, I was with two colleagues repairing Traffic signals in Retford, many people passed by us including an old work colleague with the unusual surname of Rocket. The Gasworks blew up accidentally in 1954/55 not sure about the exact date and Arthur Rocket was working on the Gasometer that day, and as the story goes he alone managed what the Kiaser and Hitler failed to do destroy the Gasworks.

Bill

Thanks for the information

Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

Evening

Just to round off this thread, I have now received a copy of Harold Renshaws death certificate and now know that he lived at 3 Chancery Place, Broad Marsh. Obviously that is where the final bomb fell. His death certificate lists his cause of death as 'Burns by incendiary bomb dropped from an enemy airship and thereby murdered by some person or persons unknown' No ambiguity there!

Regards

John

Hi John

I'm not sure if the following info is going to help or hinder, but I have been looking through more of the records held at the National Archives in London for the Nottingham raid. I'll send two posts as there is quite a bit.

As regards to numbers of bombs, the official British report compiled shortly after the raid also gives 19 bombs on Nottingham (8 explosive and 11 incendiary), but also gives total bombs in Nottinghamshire dropped by L.17 that night as 17 explosive and 16 incendiary, plus one other explosive bomb on Waddingworth in Lincs., "probably" dropped by L.17.

The list shows:

North Muskham 0 expl., 1 incend.

Colwick 2 expl., 4 incend.

Sneinton 6 expl., 0 incend.

Nottingham 8 expl., 11 incend.

Mapperley 1 expl., 0 incend.

Total 17 expl., 16 incen.

The accompanying report explains as follows:

"...Going slowly to make sure of her course about 11.50pm she was close to Newark. She circled in its neighbourhood, apparently and about midnight dropped an incendiary bomb at North Muskham, about three miles to the north, which fell on the river Trent. She then went on towards Nottingham, at 12.15 passed Southwell, and at 12.23 Gunthorpe. At 12.34 two H.E. and four incendiary were aimed at the Great Northern Railway Goods sidings at Colwick. They luckily fell in fields and did no damage. Immediately afterwards six more H.E. bombs were thrown on fields between Colwick and Sneinton. The A.A. defences of Nottingham now prepared to come into action; at 12.37 the Sneinton light was exposed, but at 12.39 a bomb fell (one of the six H.E. mentioned above) which severed telephonic communication between the light and the guns which now acted independantly. Neither found the target owing to a thick ground mist and the Aspley and Wilford lights were outranged. Meanwhile the airship had dropped 8 H.E. and 11 incendiary bombs on the city; doing considerable damage, killing three persons, and injuring seven. The Midland Railway Goods station was seriously damaged and the Great Central Station and permanent way slightly. A chapel was partially wrecked and set on fire; three dwellinghouses were totally wrecked, four seriously and three slightly damaged, a public house and three shops seriously. A large number of windows were broken. No damage was caused to any munitions or other factory doing Government work. .."

In my next post I give a report from the military who visited Nottingham the morning after the raid.

Hi again John, as promised, here are some more details on the Nottingham Zeppelin raid from the National Archives in London.

The following is a report from Captain Climo, adjutant at the Sherwood Foresters Depot, sent to the commanding officer of the 45th Regimental District and then forwarded to the Anti-Aircraft Defence Commander, Central Telephone Exchange, Newhall Street, Birmingham. It lists damage caused by 15 of the Nottingham bombs (plus mention in the report of one in Low Pavement).

"In accordance with your instructions, I proceeded to Nottingham at once today, and interviwed the Deputy Chief Constable and obtained the following information about this mornings Air raid.:-

"The Chief Constable informs me that at 20.37 of the 23rd inst., he received the Field Marshall's warning and at 21.29 Take action. The raid commenced at 0.45 on the 24th inst., and lasted 15 minutes, no bombs being dropped after 1 am. From general information, and the location of the actual damage, I find that the course taken by the hostile air-craft was a Westerly one from Lowdham until 600 yards west of the MIdland Station, when it turned N.E. towards Mapperley. This course roughly corresponds with the Midland Railway from Lowdham to Nottingham and thence Northward by the Great Central Railway.

"The total number of bombs dropped appears to be eight explosives and eleven incendiary. The Police report that one of the former is buried behind the back of No.18 Low Pavement, unexploded, and they have in their possession the remains of five of the latter. [A hand writen note in the margin states that the bomb was later changed to exploded - Aspern] Up to 15.30 the 24th inst., the following casualties were reported:-

Killed:- 2 men, 1 woman, Injured:- 7 men, 3 women and 1 child. Of these, three are Soldiers. Also one man reported missing, but not confirmed. Practically the whole of the material damage is confined to Carrington Street and Listergate area of Nottingham. I attach a Schedule of damage to houses etc. Two serious fires occured which were promptly dealt with by the City Brigade.

"The Air-craft were not actually seen, but there is a general concensus of opinion that there were two in number. The atmospheric conditions were greatly against the visibility owing to ground fog, but the night was generally fine.

"After my interview with the Chief Constable, I saw the Editor of the Nottingham Guardian, and he confirmed the above information. I also saw the Control Officer of the Anti-Aircraft Defence and he corroborates the direction of approach and departure of the hostile Air-craft. He states, that although the Searchlights were used, no Air-craft were seen, but were distinctly heard; the Anti-aircraft Guns, therefore, did not come into action.

"There have been no complaints to the Police Authorities with reference to exposed lights, but from what I could gather, the City generally is very bitter against the Midland Railway, whose lights continued long after warning had been given to them."

SCHEDULE of DAMAGE by Hostile Aicraft at Nottingham 24th September 1916

Midland Railway, Charrington Street and Charrington Street and Listergate generally 2 Bombs GOODS YARD - Damage considerable - 1 Shed wrecked. Two men seriously injured.

SHOPS - Windows blown out - large quantity of glass broken, and shop fronts blown in.

Eastcroft Yard, London Road 1 Bomb Damage considerablet

Newthorpe Street 1 Bomb 3 houses demolished - 1 man, 1 woman killed, 5 men, 2 women and child injured.

Grey Friar Gate 1 Bomb Public House damaged

Broad Marsh 2 Bombs Chapel set on fire, Dwelling house wrecked, 1 man killed

Lyster (sic) Gate 1 Bomb Auction Mart badly damaged, fire occassioned.

Castle Gate 1 Bomb Serious damge Stores - walls in dangerous condition.

Lammas Street 1 Bomb Dwelling house damaged.

London Road 1 Bomb Ashworth Kirk & Co Timber Merchants slight damage.

Barker Street (back of) 1 Bomb Refreshment Rooms - slight damage

Bridlesmith Gate, Northumberland Terrace 2 Bombs No damage

THE ABOVE ARE ALL CLOSE TOGETHER

Great Central Railway 1 Bomb Victoria Station - No.7 Platform slight damage

John, I'm not sure how that fits in with your findings, hopefully it all matches up!

Regards

Aspern

Evening Aspern

Many thanks for this information. The official British Report figure tallies with that quoted by Kraushaar, but the breakdown obviously doesn't tally. I certainly do not have any other reference quoting thirty three bombs as being dropped. It does rather muddy the waters as some of the locations also do not match those already known.

The two listed as landing in Broad Marsh are mistaken, the fatality was caused at Chancery Place in Broad Marsh but two hit the chapel which was on Canaan Street, although one did not go off. Midland Railway, Carrington Street and Carrington Street and Lister Gate accounted for four of the bombs, but then another is listed as Lister Gate which is one too many! Need to investigate Barker Gate and Lammas Street. Lammas Street was in the Meadows and was near Newthorpe Street and also need to investigate Bridlesmith Gate. Even allowing for the debate on the bombs dropped on Mapperley, the latest estimate is two, then we only account roughly nineteen bombs. This would mean a further fourteen bombs being dropped on the county for which there are no other references

The plot thickens!!

I have only just got in from work so will need to give some thought to this and come back to you.

Incidentally the Broad Marsh fatality was 62079 Private Harold Henshaw Notts & Derby Depot as mentioned above. He is listed on the CWGC but no mention is made of his dying due to enemy action.

Regards

John

Hi John

I think it may be straightforward in adding the 12 Colwick/Sneinton bombs in the total dropped. They are mentioned in passing in "The War In The Air", Vol.3, pge 229, and feature seperately in the Official Reports. If I could work out how to attach a photo (it asks for a URL...) I could add a pic of the report. It is very specific. It seems clear that of these 12 only one hit anything (the telephone cable at Sneinton) and often in these reports there is little detail when the bombs land in open country. The Daily Telegraph for 25 Sept 1916 does mention, "Violent explosions had been heard previously in country districts. Then the disturbing crash of more explosions within the borders of the town itself were heard at a distance."

Regards

Ian

TrooperKerry

I have no objection. I have more detail on the raid if required.

Regards

John

Hi John

I want to make up a few pages for a display board for a small intro to WW1 to the users of Carlton Library in Nottingham on Sat morning so the info so far is brill. My sister lives of Hicking Rd Mapperley so she is interested in the bomb that was dropped off nearby.

Thanks for your help

Martin

added a shot of our little display boards we used at Carlton Central Junior School last Friday. It was covered by Central ITV news and BBC Midlands whilst the kids were sowing poppy seeds.

and another photo

and another

post-103422-0-13518800-1396382797_thumb.

post-103422-0-59268800-1396383142_thumb.

post-103422-0-55703700-1396383184_thumb.

This is a photograph of a group repairing the damage to one of the Gasometer in the 1916 Zepplin attack not much to see I,m afraid

Bill Tomlinson

post-1786-0-69875600-1396471453_thumb.jp

John, Aspern, the information about the attack on Retford is a hand written account in the reference library at Retford. Now that I have more time I intend to spend more time researching not only this subject but many others. I can expand on some stuff, a teacher when I was at school(in the sixties)took us to examine "Gas House" bridge and the ajoining pub the Packet Inn both close to where the Gas Works once stood, it was possible to see slight damage on both structures. But an amusing or not story is, I was with two colleagues repairing Traffic signals in Retford, many people passed by us including an old work colleague with the unusual surname of Rocket. The Gasworks blew up accidentally in 1954/55 not sure about the exact date and Arthur Rocket was working on the Gasometer that day, and as the story goes he alone managed what the Kiaser and Hitler failed to do destroy the Gasworks.

Hi Bill

I have a mate in Retford and he went to the 'Denman' library in Retford to see the account but the staff there were unaware of the hand-written account. Is the Denman the right library?

Many thanks

Aspern

"L-17 dropped it first bomb at North Muskham as it flew up the Trent Valley. The first bomb dropped over the city landed on the corner of Cross Street and Dunstan Street in Netherfield, demolishing six houses. The next one landed at Sneinton severing the telephone lines to the AA guns. "

Hi John

In all the bits and pieces I've looked at so far I haven't seen another reference to the first bomb you describe as causing the damage to six houses corner of Cross and Dunstan Street, Netherfield.Do you know what the source is for this?

Also, please see attachment for the Police report of the bombs dropped by L.17 en route to Nottingham mentioned in my previous Post.

post-29730-0-33623500-1396952275_thumb.j

Hi Aspern

Sorry I haven't been in touch regarding your previous email, I have been caught up with work. I hope to be able to look at this sometime this week

Regards

John

• 3 months later...
Guest tankcent

Hi John.

Sorry if not in the right place its my first time.

Please can anyone help with the names of the crew list of the L20 on the 31st Jan 1916.

This is with reference to over head Ilkeston, and maybe a short conversation on the flight deck with Stabbert.

Thanks

Tank

Hi Tank

PM me with an email address and I will send you the crew list I got from a German source.

Regards

John

• 1 year later...

I think James Hall was one of the people killed at the ironworks that night. He was an ironworker, (originally from Shropshire), he was living nearby in Stapleford, he was killed at the "Works". Here are a few more detail of him: James Hall was born in 1858. He is shown in the 1911 census living as head of the household in Stapleford, Shardlow, Derbyshire. He is married to Catherine aged 49. They have a daughter Gladys aged 20 who was born in Snedshill. Son William Dawson Hall aged 22 who was born in Stapleford 22nd March 1889 Royal Navy, F23939 , Harold aged 19, Millicent aged 17, Horace aged 15, Ida aged 12, May aged 8.

Wellington Journal February 12 - 1916

The recent air raid over England included in its victims Mr James Hall, a Shropshire man who was the son of the late Mr T Hall of Mumpern Hill, Priorslee. He was 57 years of age. For a long time he worked at the Priorslee Works as a furnaceman and was a member of the Old Park Brass Band, being a very skilled instrumentalist, but subsequently went to Derbyshire. He was following his occupation when a fragment of a Zeppelin bomb struck him and instantly killed him. In an interview with a Journal representative, Mrs Rowley, who lives at Oakengates, is a sister of the deceased, and who had been to her brother's funeral, said that the most remarkable park of the tragic affair was that although there were a large number of men working not many yards away from him, not one of them received the slightest injury, and the works themselves were left intact.

The interment took place on Saturday, the ceremony being attended by a large concourse of deceased's fellow workmen, members of the friendly societies, and sympathising friends. He is survived by his wife and five children. Hi s eldest son enlisted in the Maines? (marines??) at the beginning of the war, and went through the Dardanelles engagements, but although being invalided home and having hospital treatment he was able to attend the burial of his father. In addition to Mrs Rowley, other brothers and sisters of the deceased are Messrs J Hall (St Georges), R Hall (Hanley), W. Hall (St Georges), Mrs Hordley (Hare and Hounds Inn, Watling St, Weillington) Mrs Grocott (Millfields), Mrs Lees (St Georges), and Mrs Houghton (Dover).

The sad event recalls the fact that a little over eleven years ago deceased's father was killed while working at Priorslee Furnaces, he being 74 years of age. At the inquest on the late Mr J Hall, witnesses state that among other things found in his possession was a copy of the previous week's issue of the Journal.

It would be great to find out more about him. Would there be any records of the inquest anywhere? Also as lots of fellow workers attended I assume he was buried in Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire rather than his native Shropshire.