Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
BrendanLee

Some events marking the 100th anniversaries WW1 etc.

BrendanLee

Some upcoming events to mark the centenaries of various events were announced in the Irish Times.

War cross

A new cross, commissioned by the Glasnevin Trust and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, will be unveiled at a service at the Irish National War Memorial Gardens in Islandbridge on August 4th, the 100th anniversary of the day Britain declared war on Germany.

There will also be an Irish presence in Mons, Belgium where the first major battle of the first World War on the western front will be marked.

The passage of the final Home Rule Bill in July 1914 and the famous Woodenbridge speech given by John Redmond, which urged Irish volunteers to sign up to fight for the British army, will also be examined in detail.

Mr Deenihan (Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht) said all First World War commemorations would be co-ordinated with the Northern Assembly.

The centenary of the founding of Cumann na mBan will be remembered with a plaque outside Wynns Hotel on April 3rd and a conference in Collins Barracks.

museumtom

I am not sure if this is hush hush or not but the word on the wind is that next Friday Google, in conjunction with Flanders Fields Museum, is putting all Irish Casualties online and it is being launched by Eamon Gilmore.

Airshipped

I am not sure if this is hush hush or not but the word on the wind is that next Friday Google, in conjunction with Flanders Fields Museum, is putting all Irish Casualties online and it is being launched by Eamon Gilmore.

If so then they'll find themselves drawn into the usual undignified bunfight as to what constituted an "Irish casualty".

I did a few different trawls of Ireland's Memorial Records and found approximately 210 of the 280 flying services casualties to be "Irish", i.e. a figure of 75% or so, but found another 200+ not listed therein. Obviously the RFC, RNAS and RAF, not to mention the Royal Navy, were badly-represented in the Earl of Ypres' commission volumes. However, if we're back into the situation of producing grandiose centralised lists of Irish casualties then this event will probably end up having to cover a lot of the same old ground that's been well-worn on previous occasions.

Having said that, I'm happy with anything that helps raise the profile of the Irish war dead during this decade of centenaries in Ireland.

mick1234

FYI

http://imr.inflandersfields.be/search.html