Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers who served in more than 1 Regiment

chrisharley9

If a soldier served in more than 1 regiment would there be a different medal record card for each regiment he served in? can anyone help me

All The Best

Chris

Paul

I was hoping that was the answer - many thanks

All The Best

Chris

The second MIC is usually for the award of a SWB (although this is the exception rather than the norm). I also saw a separate one for the 1914 star once.

Apart from that, you will find all units on one MIC.

Mick

Edited by Michael

MiC normally recorded all the units that an individual served in on the one card {see other threads on this topic~WO2 E.Griffin Northamptonshires,Suffolks.Royal Fusiliers,Northamptonshires,again,Suffolk Garrison Bn,Norfolk Regt. }however there are many instances of further cards in existence for the same man,sometimes due to an error in the spelling of the Surname{this is true of my Great Uncle George whose 1914~15 Star was issued under the name "Vankinsbergh",as opposed to the correct spelling "Vanhinsbergh"}other examples show being Commissioned from the Ranks with a 2nd Card giving only the Officer details,others giving details of other Regiments served with,where the previous existence of a Card may have been overlooked,Thus giving rise to the tentative issue of two lots of Medals,of which there are recorded cases}

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Apart from that, you will find all units on one MIC.

Mick,

You need to be careful on this. I am just about to finish researching a soldier who has 3 MICs:

MIC 1 - 1914/15 Star entitlement plus full name to the RWF.

MIC 2 - BWM/Victory entitlement plus first name & surname to RWF plus service in Labour Corps.

MIC 3 - SWB entitlement plus first name & surname to the Labour Corps.

As this guys records are not on-line yet I am pleased that I found the third card!!

Ian

Ian

10/10 for observation. Having seen MIC's 1 and 2 (medal entitlements) I wouldn't have been looking for another one depending on where it was on the fiche.

Maybe I should always search the next card even if it's on the next row.

mick

I have two MIC's for my grandfather.

On the first one they only mentioned the C for Charles and in the second one they mentioned his full given names: Charles Frederick, so I'm afraid its not only a question of Surnames...

He served in two different regiments and they gave the wrong reg. number on one card and the right one on the other card both for the same regiment.

There's more confusion than one might expect....

Cheers,

Michael

Spelling mistakes in surnames are the most common cause for two MICs for the same man. Very often they are cross-referenced. Some poor pen-pusher must have had the hell of a job of sorting these out!

Regards

Steve