Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barrack Warden Waterford Barracks 1915

bsears

I'm looking for advice on where to go next for help with my Great Grandfathers WW1 and pre WW1 records.
His name was Thomas Stapleton and was a Barrack Warden at Waterford Barracks in 1915. He was probably there before and after this time but this was when my Grandfather David Joseph Stapleton was born. I have found some previous threads re Barrack Wardens and understand he could well been in the Army prior to this. He married Mary Ann Stapleton nee Ennis.

Are there any records relating to Waterford Barracks? Also any tips on looking for his pre WW1 service. Any help appreciated.

Barrie

Barrie

I stand to be corrected but I believe that there were two Barracks in Waterford. One in Barracks Street itself an another on the corner of Cannon Street and Barracks Street, which I believe was an Artillery Barracks.

Dave

When and where was Thomas Stapleton born?

There are pre Great War service records (1760 - 1915) on findmypast, but too many Thomas Stapleton's to check without a birthplace and year.

The Thomas Stapleton of interest does not appear in the 1911 census of Ireland as being in Waterford at that time.

Thanks for the responses. I believe he was at the Artillery Barracks. Still trying to locate the birthplace and date for Thomas without any luck. I'll keep trying.

Of course, if he was in Ireland in 1911 he might be under his initials TS rather than full name.

Mark

Thanks Craig. I have his sons birth certificate. It just states Thomas Stapleton, Barrack Warden. With his wife Mary Ann nee Ennis. Not sure where to start looking for Thomas's birth certificate but will keep plugging away.