Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A British Ambulance Driver in Verdun

AWarToEndNoWars

I thought I'd share this little project with you all.

I'm planning on putting a small book together based on my Great Grandfathers experiences in Verdun as a Driver for the Section Sanitaire Anglais for the centenary.

He took many photos during his time serving with the French and processed many of these in his tent in the field. Only about 180 of these photos remain intact and sadly these are beginning to fade, hence why I think they should be published A. To preserve them for the future, and B. I think other people would find these fascinating and of valuable use to research etc.

I'll try and attach some of the old scans I currently have (my Grandad did these about 13 years ago) as I'd like to share these with you all. I am collecting the photos in the next month or so as I intend to rescan these in as high definition as possible.

I also plan to sort out a website at some point this year to tie in with the book.

All the best

• 1 year later...

Hi

Did you get your photos done?

My wife's grandfather was also in Section Sanitaire Anglaise No. 1 from 1916 to 1919.

He was awarded a Croix de Guerre with Silver Star in 1917 and another with Palm in 1919.

We have the certificates and a couple of letters reporting the awards and one medal. The other was stolen.

Other than finding him listed in the book 'For Dauntless France', I can find no other reference to him.

We only have one photo of him where you can clearly see the No. 1 on has cap.

Would very much appreciate hearing from you to let me know what you have managed to scan.

Best regards

Mike

• 4 years later...

Hello

I have been researching my grandfather Douglas Gray's W.W.1. experience with SSA16

I am curious to learn more if you have anything

I do have his papers and many photos at home and his Croix de Guerre (Montdidier 1918).

Thanks

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Cambridge said:

Hello

I have been researching my grandfather Douglas Gray's W.W.1. experience with SSA16

I am curious to learn more if you have anything

I do have his papers and many photos at home and his Croix de Guerre (Montdidier 1918).

Thanks

Welcome to the forum

The thread starter hasn't logged in since 2014 but you have made the necessary number of posts to use the Private Message system. Click on their user name and then the envelope (message) icon. Providing they are still using the email address with which they registered they will be alerted to your message.

Good luck with your research

David