Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3/4th Battalion, Queens Royal West Surrey Regt.

2li

Vic,

The MM card link was actually in Annie's original thread - are you sure it isn't tucked away in your system somewhere?

Have you got his AIR 76 record for the RAF? I see from your Rootschat posts, that you have a January 1918 date for his transfer. According to a list I have, it is February 1918, so in the right field. If you need the reference it is AIR 76/135503, mis-transcribed as Dewar(?) and unfortunately not yet downloadable.

Thanks again, Phil.

I definitely only downloaded one medal index card back then, when Annie was such a help to me, and it shows Victory and British medals only - Roll E/1/101B29.

Should I get the other one? (I think I know the answer...)

I heard back from the National Archives today about digitising this record so I can download it - £2.80 (1x A3 scan). If that tells me more about where he served, I'll be happy.

I'm still waiting on an estimate for digitising his RAF record.

My other great-grandfather next. London Regiment and Labour Corps for him...

Thanks again for all your help,

Vic

Just downloaded the MM card. It says he was in the 1st Battalion and is stamped "France". :)

Great news Vic, it'd be worth also checking the BWM/ VM Medal Roll too, just to see if he changed Bns after wounding, so you get the full picture (I found this useful just yesterday, found a man who I thought had just served in 7th Sussex, but Medal Roll entries showed he had also served with 2nd and 9th Sussex before then ...).

Great step forward, sure you're immersed in 1st Queen's WD now!! May be worth PM'ing 'Bootneck' on the forum, IIRC he had done much research into 1st and 2nd Queens

All the best

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I'll do that!

Funnily enough, I just got back from the library where Ancestry had my other great-grandfather's service record. This shows a different battalion, though same regiment, to the one stamped on his medals.

Couldn't find George's service record, though. Guess I couldn't be that lucky and have two service records that survived the Blitz! I'd love to find out why he won the MM, but I'm still really pleased to know a battalion.

Best wishes,

Vic

Dear Hambo,

Sorry your PM is full and wondered if you may see this post continuation. As it would have it I am now researching a 45th RF man who died in Russia in 1919 who was formerly an A/Cpl in the Queen's called Percy Edwin Petter, with the number 201650, which I take to be a TF renumbering post March 1917 and would put him in 2/4th or 3/4th number bracket (from Grumpy and Graham Stewart's work on Army Numbers) and I've researched near numbers and found men in both Bn's. Just wonder on the off chance whether there is anything about him in the 'Unofficial History' (unlikely I know) or whether he has come up on your radar whilst researching? He won the DCM with 45th RF. Appreciate your time and effort, regards Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi Jim

Sorry about the delay just spotted this. No mention of him I'm afraid and haven't come across him on my travels either so not much help!

Good luck with it

To make things easier in future my direct email is jcdothamblinatbtopenworlddotcom

Cheers John

Evening John,

Thank you very much for looking, I have not found out much, but looks like his father, who served with 25th RF, kept his son quiet in all his military documentation, a newspaper report saying Percy joined in 1914 aged 16 so maybe that was the reason. I have traced the family to Purley, so 2/4th or 3/4th easily applicable. One I may never get to bottom of, but will keep digging. Hope things are well in your neck of the woods, do miss a pint in the White Hart down the A25 from you since I moved away from the area.

Thanks again

Jim

PS I have some info for you, to add to your King's School database, as I've been looking into one of the local fallen who went there, Lt. Derrick Osborne 2 DLI, I'll email you the extra info I found if you're still collecting it?

All the best, Jim

Oops

Edited by BFBSM

Hi Jim

Would love any extra information you can add. Just tracked down a relative and have added a new Great War photo which has made my week. They've turned the White Hart into a bit of a gastro thing now so not like the old days but they still have room for the BoB pilots which is good

Look forward to hearing from you when you get the chance

All the best John

Hi John,

I'm in contact with a local historian who has published books about the Parish and she seems knows about all of the local families, so I'll ask her for more family info if you'd like? His older brother George was in the 7th Sussex until he was wounded, I know that. His grandson, the Right Honourable of the same name is named after him. I believe he finished his war as a Captain and Coy OC, think I have a photo of him too. The Osborne house garden is open this June for a WW1 event.

I'll talk to the historian and get all I can from her and then pass that on with the military stuff I found.

Shame about the WH, I used to like the BoB atmosphere there, could imagine the fighter pilots escaping there for a well earned pint

All the best, be in touch soonest, Jim