Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to 'Age' replica medals

Mowatt

I'm still searching for my Grandfathers WW1 medals but in the meantime bought a 'Trio' of replica medals. As the replica medals are very bright & shiny I was wondering how to give them an aged look. It may have been raised before but having looked through these forums I can't see anything on this subject.

Does anyone have any suggestions please.

Ian

I would think it depends on what metals/alloys they are made of. Personally, I would let them loose their shine naturally otherwise you may damage them. Also by ageing them, they may be passed off as the real thing in years to come.

Sepoy

Thanks to you both Sepoy & khaki.

I can see what you mean but they are sssooooo shiny that they look quite false, which of course they are. I don't think they could ever be passed off as the real thing as they don't have any name imprinted around the edge. I'll give it some more thought.

Thanks again.

^_^

Ian

The traditional way to age metal items is to bury them in the garden for a few months. Results vary depending on the base metal though - works well with copper and brass. Don't think it has any effect on chrome.

You could dig up every week or so to check progress. But you may end up ruining them!

Regards

Ian

Thanks for the suggestion, I may end up doing something similar like putting them in a pot of soil so it's easier to check the effect.

Thanks Ian

I have several ww1 medals that look brand new. It all depends how and where they have been stored.

I wouldn't worry too much, its what they represent not what they look like

Fair point Coldstreamer, it is what they represent, namely the commitment and sacrifice undertaken by those brave men and women. However my Grandfather was born in 1888 and died in 1963 so since his death was 50 years ago bright shiny medals seem incongruous with his passing so many years ago.

Thanks very much for your comments, very thought provoking.

Ian :mellow:

Hi Everyone,I hope You are All Well.I would Like to come in on this Topic,if I may.I too am Looking for My Grandfathers W.W.1 Medals,as of yet I too have not had any Luck.And again I too am considering getting Replicas in the meantime.What I would Like to ask is,from My Grandads M.I.C. it appears that He Served in Two Units the A.S.C. and the R.F.A.The details of His M.I.C. are as follows

Name Corps Rank Regt No

Doe R.A.S.C. DVR T4/161067

Wiliam R.F.A. 267454

Roll Page

R.F.A./321 B 44389

My Question is,if when I obtain the Replicas,and I should decide to get Them Stamped.What Unit would they be Stamped with.Thanking You in Anticipation. Kind Regards. Phil

. However my Grandfather was born in 1888 and died in 1963 so since his death was 50 years ago bright shiny medals seem incongruous with his passing so many years ago.

.Ian :mellow:

I have bright shiny medals, originals, still in their shipping boxes, never worn by the veteran who also passed away many years ago, I see nothing incongruous with these, they are what they are, medals are meant to look bright and shiny, not neglected or battered 'old coins'. I have to agree with a previous post, that attempting to artificially aged them (replicas) may damage them excessively. Your choice of course

regards

khaki

khaki

Thanks for your comments. That's what I like about this forum, lots of different stories with different opinions but always worthwhile.

Ian

:thumbsup:

. However my Grandfather was born in 1888 and died in 1963 so since his death was 50 years ago bright shiny medals seem incongruous with his passing so many years ago.

.Ian :mellow:

I have bright shiny medals, originals, still in their shipping boxes, never worn by the veteran who also passed away many years ago, I see nothing incongruous with these, they are what they are, medals are meant to look bright and shiny, not neglected or battered 'old coins'. I have to agree with a previous post, that attempting to artificially aged them (replicas) may damage them excessively. Your choice of course

regards

khaki

Concur with that. My grandfathers are the same, Rarely but rarely taken out of their shipping boxes and the silver ones are mint. The other two 14-15 star and VM have a very faint patina which doesn't really show that they are getting on for 100 years old. Personally I'd leave them alone, but it

is your choice of course.

David

If you just want to take a little shine off them and are pepared to take a small risk (after all they are replicas) a good artists supply shop will sell a range of matt and semi matt transparent finishes in spray cans. A light misting with a semi matt should just take the newness off without creating a fake patina.

As used by tthe best art fakers "in the best possible taste"

As stupid as it sounds a polish can help if they have some kind of lacquer / finish. If this is so the polish removes the bright finish allowing natural toning.

I can't understand however buying modern replicas and then naming them. They never belonged or represented the soldier. I would always source a genuine set that represents / reflects what the soldier would have had. If framing it won't matter who is on the rim as you would not see it and for a similar price you get an original set from the war.

TT

Presumably the ribbons will be new. Might look a bit odd with the "aged" medals. You could always obtain original ribbons, which are sometimes available without their medals but personally I would keep them as they are

Justin H

Hello all

I'm taking all this on board and have been starting to look at buying original Trios or seperate medals so trenchtrotters comments confirm with me this is the way to go. It might be years (if ever) I locate my Grandfathers original medals, I don't even have his regimental number. Local prices have been a bit steep lately but I've got my eye on a few from elsewhere so I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks as always

Ian