Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pykett

My Great Grandfather, Harry Pykett, served in the Army Veterinary Corps. Regimental No SE9557.

on 30 May 1919 he was transferred to the reserve, class Z and was listed as being currently with 'No4 Vety Hosp'.

I'm looking for any information on his service record and that of the AVC and the No4 Veterinary Hospital.

I have a series of local newspaper cuttings showing him joining as a private (newspaper date 19 June 1915), posting to France, promotion to Lance-Corporal and Corporal (this clipping shows a newspaper date of 22 April 1916).

Harry Pykett is pictured here on the left, I have no information regarding the man on the right.

I have no date for the photograph but as he is wearing Sergeants stripes I would guess it is after April 1916.

Thank you

Stephen

post-105202-0-59801900-1388615492_thumb.

• Admin

There are 8 pages of Discharge Documents in the Pension Records on Ancestry (sadly mixed up with another soldier with the same surname). It's odd as the record confirms embarkation to France 28/9/1915 from Southampton and landing at Le Havre the following day yet his mic shows no entitlement to the 14-15 Star.

The record shows he was attached to 14 Veterinary Hospital,not 4. I don't know where that was located but when he broke his toe in March 1917 he was admitted to No 5 Stationary Hospital in Abbeville. The RAVC Association may be able to help with the location http://ravc-association.org/historical_records.shtml.

He doesn't appear to have served with any other unit although when he made his claim he was serving in the 'Quartermaster's Department' and seems to have followed his civilian occupation as a carter/waggoner. Appointed paid acting sergeant 28/12/1916, later made substantive from that date.

Ken

There are 8 pages of Discharge Documents in the Pension Records on Ancestry (sadly mixed up with another soldier with the same surname). It's odd as the record confirms embarkation to France 28/9/1915 from Southampton and landing at Le Havre the following day yet his mic shows no entitlement to the 14-15 Star.

The record shows he was attached to 14 Veterinary Hospital,not 4. I don't know where that was located but when he broke his toe in March 1917 he was admitted to No 5 Stationary Hospital in Abbeville. The RAVC Association may be able to help with the location http://ravc-association.org/historical_records.shtml.

He doesn't appear to have served with any other unit although when he made his claim he was serving in the 'Quartermaster's Department' and seems to have followed his civilian occupation as a carter/waggoner. Appointed paid acting sergeant 28/12/1916, later made substantive from that date.

Ken

Thanks Ken.

Harry worked with horses on farms in Derbyshire and was a 'millers dray man' in Cromford, Derbyshire just before the war. He did indeed return to this work after the war working as a waggoner for Denby Pottery, Derbyshire.

He was mentioned in a fund raising poem about 'local lads' in 1915

http://www.cromfordvillage.co.uk/crom_lads.html

I've also traced the date of the newspaper reporting his arrival in France. The paper is dated 9 October 1915. I wonder why there is no 14-15 Star?

I've attached an image of the discharge form that I thought shows No 4 Vety Hosp, could the one and four be overwritten do you think?

post-105202-0-00039200-1388623122_thumb.

post-105202-0-35105400-1388623502_thumb.

The photograph is interesting with both guys wearing "Morning" buttons. It is not clear to me what Regiment/Corps the Sgt on the right is serving in and it would be great if you could post a blow up of his cap and collars. It is most unusual for collar badges to be worn during WW1, but as he is also wearing a narrow webbing walking out belt, this photo probably dates just post war.

Sepoy

The photograph is interesting with both guys wearing "Morning" buttons. It is not clear to me what Regiment/Corps the Sgt on the right is serving in and it would be great if you could post a blow up of his cap and collars. It is most unusual for collar badges to be worn during WW1, but as he is also wearing a narrow webbing walking out belt, this photo probably dates just post war.

Sepoy

Is this any help?

Unfortunately my copy is not great quality, I will try to get a better version.

Stephen.

post-105202-0-25147800-1388632544_thumb.

• Admin

The LLT has 4 VH in the Curragh in 1914 but notes a reorganisation for the war. It may be he was posted to 4 VH before demobilisation but this seems unlikely as the record of service stamp shows he was discharged from Woolwich to the Class 'Z' Reserve on 30th May 1919 as above. He left France (Boulogne) a month before on the 30th April.

I think the 'Cover for Discharge Documents', as posted above is clear and shows '4 Vety Hosp' but equally his 'Casualty Form' shows '14VH' unfortunately copyright and forum rules mean I can't post here. Incidentally his original rank is shown as 'H'kpr' or Horsekeeper, the equivalent of private.

As for the mic there are two Harry Pykett in the ®AVC in the medal cards one, who died of wounds, is shown as going to Egypt in 1915 and is clearly not SE/9557 but it may have caused confusion in the Medals Office. There is not much information on your man's mic it does look a bit sparse for a 1915 card and shows his rank as Sjt whereas the other Harry's card has the rank as H'Kpr (and then Private in the Rifle Brigade).

This may suggest the card was made up later. You can download the card from TNA

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_col=2&_q=Harry+Pykett

Ken

Just noticed you're in Aus. will send PM

The LLT has 4 VH in the Curragh in 1914 http://www.1914-1918.net/avc.html but notes a reorganisation for the war. It may be he was posted to 4 VH before demobilisation but this seems unlikely as the record of service stamp shows he was discharged from Woolwich to the Class 'Z' Reserve on 30th May 1919 as above. He left France (Boulogne) a month before on the 30th April.

I think the 'Cover for Discharge Documents', as posted above is clear and shows '4 Vety Hosp' but equally his 'Casualty Form' shows '14VH' unfortunately copyright and forum rules mean I can't post here. Incidentally his original rank is shown as 'H'kpr' or Horsekeeper, the equivalent of private.

As for the mic there are two Harry Pykett in the ®AVC in the medal cards one, who died of wounds, is shown as going to Egypt in 1915 and is clearly not SE/9557 but it may have caused confusion in the Medals Office. There is not much information on your man's mic it does look a bit sparse for a 1915 card and shows his rank as Sjt whereas the other Harry's card has the rank as H'Kpr (and then Private in the Rifle Brigade).

This may suggest the card was made up later. You can download the card from TNA

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_col=2&_q=Harry+Pykett

Ken

Just noticed you're in Aus. will send PM

Thanks Ken.

I did come across the other Harry Pykett and did get a little confused until I found the extra notes regarding his death.

There was also a Sergeant (RSM) Pykett with the 12th Sherwood Foresters, I came across a newspaper clipping listing him as presiding over the 12th's 1915 Christmas Concert 'somewhere' in France.

Incidentally Harry was born in 1876 and so was in his late thirties when he joined up.

Stephen

• 2 years later...

I am unable to decide what cap badges that your great grandfather is wearing. I does not look like the badge that would have been worn by the Army Veterinary Corps 1903 - 1918 nor the current cap badge we wear (my profile picture)

Regards

Daz

• spof changed the title to SE9557 Harry Pykett Army Veterinary Corps