Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Daily Telegraph editions 1914 -1918 pdfs online

NigelS

Starting today (1st January 2014) the Daily Telegraph will be putting on line, on a day by day basis, pdf version of its 1914-18 issues Click (unfortunately not searchable :( )

NigelS

Hats off to the DT. Great way to mark the centenary years. Let's hope other papers follow suit.

Thanks for the tip-off Nigel.

Thanks for that Nigel, doubt I would have spotted it.

Starting it this early will certainly show how the war came out of a clear blue sky for most people. I suppose the main value of the first six months of this will be the insight into the "vanished sunlit world of Edwardian England" (copyright: the start of every documentary ever made on the period). It has become such a cliche that it will be interesting to see how reportage at the time saw things.

David

Nigel,

thanks for letting us know - was hoping the D.T. would do something like this - super!

Ant

I wonder if they'll make it searchable by August?

Nigel,

thanks for letting us know - was hoping the D.T. would do something like this - super!

Ant

Will be disappointed if the Times don't do something similar - 'the paper of record' and all that

David

Will be disappointed if the Times don't do something similar - 'the paper of record' and all that

David

The Times Archive ( IIRC from the earliest editions to c2005?) is already available on line (searchable) with many libraries offering free 'at home' access to members; access to current day Times' articles is generally only available through subscription. Don't know about the Telegraph's 1914-18 pdfs, but I believe that free access without subscription is supposedly limited to so many articles per month (20 ?) which might cause a problem for anyone planning to view or download the whole lot!

NigelS

Less incentive for The Times to do it, as digitised back copies are already accessible via many local libraries and, I think, by subscription - with a good "search" facility.

Moonraker

Edit: Nigel beat me to it by a minute!

Shame that it lacks a search capability. An interesting read perhaps but effectively not much use for research.

Am I missing something? Even at 500% magnification I still find it hard to read.

The Times Archive ( IIRC from the earliest editions to c2005?) is already available on line (searchable) with many libraries offering free 'at home' access to members; access to current day Times' articles is generally only available through subscription. Don't know about the Telegraph's 1914-18 pdfs, but I believe that free access without subscription is supposedly limited to so many articles per month (20 ?) which might cause a problem for anyone planning to view or download the whole lot!

NigelS

Thank you Nigel. As I read the Times every day I really should have known that!

David

Excellent link! Thank you for posting.