Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFS ?

lindarhead

RSF transposed? (Royal Scots Fusiliers)

I would if I could see how to attach it..:)...I have a list of men who served in WW1, all from Stoke-on-Trent who were in some way connected to Bethesda Chapel in Hanley and as part of an exhibition planned for this year I am researching all those with the initial A & B.I've completed the A's and am now about a third of the way through the B's.On my list it just says Corpl.J.Bennett RSA.

Linda

Thanks Linda. Well, that definitely says RFS. Is there a photo of the original Memorial anywhere, or is that all you have. It could be Republic of South Africa, Royal Fusiliers????

Mike

Who produced that List? They don't seem very clued up on naval affairs - what's OHMS Vernon?

Welch Temperance Company? (must have a dry sense of humour!)

I'd guess at simple typo for Royal Scots Fusiliers, as Broomers suggested at the outset....

That's all I have I'm afraid, the original is at Bethesda Chapel in Hanley,Stoke-on-Trent. I'm a 'Friend of Bethesda' and helping to research each of the names on the list...see this link...http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Hanley-chapel-wants-public-recount-memories/story-20311189-detail/story.html

Linda

PS;Re OHMS Vernon...I found Seaman B Barlow, he was killed shortly before the end of the war when the ship he was on suffered an internal explosion in dock at Dover.

Oh I'll check him out,Mike, thanks.

Linda

Re Barlow, the ship was presumably the monitor HMS Glatton, which caught fire in Dover harbour on 16 September 1918 and was torpedoed and sunk to prevent a massive explosion of her main magazines.

I would suggest RFA given the other RA listed.

The PDF is clearly not an original document - strong smell of transcription errors here - e.g. "O.H.M.S." etc.

What is the original source?