Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

peterhogg

League of Gentlemen Brilliant.

• 6 years later...
On 01/01/2014 at 08:40, Steven Broomfield said:

Along with A Canterbury Tale, A Matter of Life and Death and I Know Where I'm Going, very possibly the best British film ever made.

Just spotted that 'A Canterbury Tale' is showing on Talking Pictures at 5pm in what  I think is  fairly rare outing in more recent years (although being very much in this channels repertoire, perhaps this and the others will now be shown more often - can but hope)

NigelS

"Listen to Britain" and "Words for Battle"-

Both appeared, relatively recently, on the excellent TPTV, and seem to be cropping up again, from time to time.

Looks like the film was not popular with the establishment:-

“Livesey was chosen by Michael Powell to play the lead in The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) after Powell was denied his original choice, Laurence Olivier (Winston Churchill had objected to the movie and the Fleet Air Arm refused to release Olivier, who had been a Hollywood movie star before returning to England to take a Navy commission)”. Wiki.

The remastered Col Blimp is wonderful!

Many of the films listed on this forum are investigated by www.reelstreets.com from the point of view of locations used. Where did they film that?

2400 films, 90,000 comparative stills, FREE.

JohnTee

On 05/08/2020 at 12:49, jontee said:

Many of the films listed on this forum are investigated by www.reelstreets.com from the point of view of locations used. Where did they film that?

2400 films, 90,000 comparative stills, FREE.

JohnTee

I am an avid watcher of TPTV and look up locations of films on Reel Streets I have just seen. Recommended.

• 1 month later...

Yep...'Blimp' wasn't well liked by 'the establishment' at the time.  Is there anyone of you out there who just wanted to punch that smug, shouty Lieutenant in the vizzog...Clive Candy had the best idea by pushing the young snottie into the Turkish plunge bath...bang on, sir!   Bang on! And war starts at midnight!