Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

peterhogg

To mods: Perhaps a skinless thread? I mean skindles thread:

I watched this over the C-word holidays in full, partly due to a reference to the film in another thread concerning Great War films. (The courts are closed over the holidays so I have nothing to do) I knew of the film but cannot recall ever watching it from beginning to end.

First and foremost: ( I am not being a troll here). I cannot tell today if I love this film or loathe it. I am being quite serious here. It is a marvellous piece of film-making, but why am I so torn, I wonder? (Or torn asunder) I love it and still find so much of it irritating at the same time. I don't know recall ever being so conflicted about a film.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I am interested in hearing from others. Again, I stress, i do think it a wonderful film and so well made, so this is no straw man argument. I am just not sure whether I love it or hate it and would love to hear from others!! (meaning, I did love it, I suppose, but am not sure what left me so discomfited..)

Maybe i just hated some of the circa 1940 characters...?

Sorry but I can't think why you feel so torn. It's an astonishing film, especially in the context of when it was made. To make a film in the middle of the war in which the German is generally 'nicer' than the Englishman was so daring. The performances are so clever and nuanced. It's brilliant. About the only thing I can think of that might be annoying you is the contrived nature of having the same actress play the three roles, but I'm clutching at straws - it's a masterpiece. Watch it again!

David

Thank you Ridgus I am going to be watching it again this evening as I do find it an intriguing film and I honestly want to resolve this conflict I have concerning what is i quite agree, a wonderful film. Thank you for your insightful comments. i want to love it more than I do!

I too love it and loathe it in equal measure. I've seen it several times over the past three decades or so, and every time I'm left with the love it loathe it split. As far as I'm concerned, it portrays the world as we'd all like it to be/to have been, but we know that that world never actually existed and never will - it portrays a fantasy world of past, honourable glory (as if WW1, or any war, or empire building for that matter, could ever have been honourable and glorious) and it contains a very strong propaganda message for the present day (that's the present day of mid WW2, of course).

It's the sugary, historical fantasy world of film-makers writ large, a past world we'd all like to be part of but a world that never actually existed for the vast majority - but it works as a piece of propaganda to an extent, it tells those watching that things need to change, that they need to get mean and nasty in order to beat the enemy (as if those who actually fight the wars at the sharp end didn't know that already, from bitter past experience) and it shows the young teaching new ways to the old (a powerful message in dire times).

Love it and loathe it in equal measure.

Cheers-salesie

Along with A Canterbury Tale, A Matter of Life and Death and I Know Where I'm Going, very possibly the best British film ever made.

Along with A Canterbury Tale, A Matter of Life and Death and I Know Where I'm Going, very possibly the best British film ever made.

What an underrated actor Roger Livesey was.

And Went the Day Well?

What an underrated actor Roger Livesey was.

Indeed so, and such a nice chap that no-one's bothered to write a biography!

And Went the Day Well?

Of course, but my list were all Archers (Powell & Pressburger) movies. Now, a list of Cavalcanti movies would throw up more than a few gems too.

Of course, but my list were all Archers (Powell & Pressburger) movies. Now, a list of Cavalcanti movies would throw up more than a few gems too.

I though your list was best British film ever? I agree some lovely Cavalcanti movies.

The other thing about Went the Day Well is that at least one of the men from the October 1914 Langemark Glouster action is in the film!

I first saw Blimp when I was around 15 ,and as I saw it again at different ages and phases of life the film became so much more ,it's a superb movie and what a brave thing to have said at the time , along with this I would recommend 2000 Women , Good by Mr Chips the part where they read out the name of the German master is superb.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I know I'd raised the topic in an awkward fashion, so I appreciate the thoughtful observations.

Happy New Year.

• 4 months later...

The Pallisers has been on BBC2.

I've enjoyed seeing Roger Livesey and Roland Culver.

Kath.

Morning scalyback. I'm not sure, as it opens automatically when I click on it. This page should help Click I must have downloaded this, or similar, before, but do not remember doing so. Using this, and watching in " Full Screen " mode it seems a decent player.

Mike

Don't know, David. He was obviously popular with The Archers (though my extensive library tells me that Olivier was first choice for Blimp - not allowed by Churchill, allegedly), and (also quoting the E L), he was first choice for Brief Encounter (the Trevor Howard role, rather than Celia Johnson).

I think his mistake was to be a nice chap with an uncomplicated life ... no-one's interested.

The other thing about Went the Day Well is that at least one of the men from the October 1914 Langemark Glouster action is in the film!

Mart - I missed this at the time: really? Amazing - how do you know this stuff?

Hobson`s Choice - virtuoso performances by Charles Laughton, John Mills and Brenda de Banzie - and Richard Wattis was there too!

Mart - I missed this at the time: really? Amazing - how do you know this stuff?

British film institute booklet on the film that says a Gloster unit was involved and a Gloster expert who knows what happened to the men and says in that unit there were survivors from Langemarck

Thanks. Interesting.

Thanks. Interesting.

Always a pleasure to educate the educated, :whistle:. The BFI produced several booklets. of the films discussed here this is the one for Went the Day Well http://www.amazon.co.uk/Went-Day-Well-Film-Classics/dp/1844575004, and Blimp http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Death-Colonel-Blimp-Classics/dp/0851705685. All well worth having.

Hobson`s Choice - virtuoso performances by Charles Laughton, John Mills and Brenda de Banzie - and Richard Wattis was there too!

Mention of Brenda de Banzie reminded me of Kenneth More ( they were both in The 39 Steps) who, like Livesey, was another actor it was always a pleasure to watch. Reach for the Sky & Night to Remember I must have seen a dozen times without tiring of them. And I still find his version of 39 Steps to be the most enjoyable.

I read The Forsyte Saga a year or so back, and Young Jolyon was Kenneth More.

Was Livesey really under rated at the time?

I think we tend to assume so, from our 21st Century viewpoint, simply because he is so excellent in the three Powell and Pressburger films but then slips back into supporting character roles in largely unremarkable films for 20 years.

David