Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland fusilier

kevin donaldson

Hello folks, before I start I would like to wish everybody a happy new year,

My question is after carrying out a little family research I have came across a distant relative, his name was William Thomas Cardy, reg number 1020, 23rd Tyneside Scottish, Northumberland fusiliers, and was seaham harbour, county durham.

William was killed in action on 1/7/16 and is remembered on the Theipval memorial, could anybody shed any light onto where he may have killed, and his battalions movements.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin,

The link to The Long Long Trail will give you some info - 4th Tyneside Scottish were part of 34 Div on 1 Jul 16. And I'm sure someone will be along soon to help out.

Roxy

23/1020 Pte William Thomas Cardy was serving with VI Platoon, 'B' Coy was actually declared "Missing in Action" on the 1st July 1916 and was still listed as MIA in the December edition of the St.Georges Gazette - the Regimental Journal - hence his listing on the Thiepval Memorial. He enlisted at the end of December 1914 and at the time of his death he was residing at 5 John St, Seaham Harbour.

Graham that is great stuff, I only recently found that he was a relative via some research on my family tree, amazing I have been to Theipval 4 times now remembering my great uncle who was KIA on the 7/7/16 with the DLI, and I had another relative on the memorial without my knowledge.

Thanks again

Kevin