Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chetnole VAD hospital, Dorset

rob1713

Whilst sorting through some old papers I found in a toolbox, I came across this photo that has been used as a post card. It was sent from Pvt Claude Swan to his wife Lillian.

A quick search on Ancestry found Private Swans medal card, which shows him serving in the 19th London regiment then the Corps of Military accountants (I assume this was the forunner of the pay Corps ?)

A nice record of staff and patients at what I assume was a small auxilliary hospital

post-31816-0-42574300-1388257738_thumb.j

post-31816-0-43818700-1388257760_thumb.j

Hi

In 1931/2 Claud Harry Swan was living at 35 Sayes Court, Chertsey,Surrey with his wife Lillian Jessie Swan. (nee Travis) married 1909, died 1967.

Regards Barry

Chetnole is not that far from us, I could make enquiries if you like?

Thanks Jane, A picture of the house as it is now would be nice, as I'm assuming it is a relatively small hospital.

If anyone in the future finds this link whilst surfing for info on this hospital and knows that their relative was a nurse or soldier at Chetnole at the time this pic was taken , then there is a good chance she or he is in this picture.

In the event of that happening I would be able to give them a better quality scan of this picture.

Rob

Chetnole Auxiliary Hospital, Sherborne, provided twenty-nine beds for other ranks in what was probably a private house. It was overseen by Mont Dore Military Hospital, Bournemouth, and would have received most, if not all of its patients from there. It's very likely that the men at Chetnole had been patients at least for a short time at Mont Dore before going there.

Sue

• 5 months later...

Hjust found this wonderful thread, whilst researching the history of Cpl. Arthur William Passmore, MM and BAR,as part of a ww1 project for my local RBL, I recently obtained a large a3 size portrait of him from his family. During the action which led to the bar to his mm on 25 March, 1918 he received an injury to his back and was ultimately hospitalised at Chetnole between 16 April, 1918 and 16 May, 1918. He is the third from left on the front rank on the postcard shown above. I will find a method of reproducing the photograph and will post same when i have learned how. I would like a copy of the postcard if the offer is still open.

post-107918-0-09516700-1402396775_thumb.

This is Cpl. 4513/201973 Arthur William Passmore MM and Bar, 10th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, he survived his wounds and returned home to 32,Lake Street,Lower Gornal, then in Staffordshire and lived a full life afterward.

Chetnole for many years was a Police training centre for the South west forces.

• 4 weeks later...

Chetnole Auxiliary Hospital was based at The Grange, which is situated on the corner of Mill Lane. It was then the home of Colonel and Mrs. Alexander. For much of the war the hospital was included in the Sherborne Group of Red Cross hospitals, and was staffed by No. 64 (Dorset) V.A.D. under the superintendence of Mrs. Alexander,

I have been researching this group in some depth, and would therefore be pleased to hear from anyone with connections to (or photographs of) Chetnole.

I did PM the original poster in reference to the postcard above, but it appears he hasn't been online for a while.

moulie

• 4 years later...
On 10 June 2014 at 20:19, Medic7922 said:

On 10 June 2014 at 20:19, Medic7922 said:

Chetnole was never a police training centre that was Chantmarle about four miles away.

• 4 years later...
On 10/06/2014 at 11:28, stanleyrbl said:

Hi,just found this wonderful thread, whilst researching the history of Cpl. Arthur William Passmore, MM and BAR,as part of a ww1 project for my local RBL,  

Don't know if you've seen this, Stan: Dudley Herald 9.3.18:

Screenshot 2023-08-24 090227.png

Not seen before John Many thanks for sending same