Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWM photo collection - charges for use in books

John_Hartley

I've noticed that the IWM, the AWM and the Canadians often have a copy of the same photo but completely different approaches to how they regard its use by 3rd parties (the Canadians appear to be the more "liberal") Presumably you have to identify which museum's copy you are using to avoid repercussions from the others?

Can't speak too highly about the National Library of Scotland. Happy for me to use their low-res photos without charge, so long as it's a low run self-published affair. And happy to do some serious discounting if it turned into a commercial publishing job.

Would have to pay full whack for high-res photos though. Anyone got experience of reproducing low-res photos, taken from the internet, in publications?

• 2 months later...

Referring to my previous post, I find I actually can speak more highly of the NLS. They had done some heavy discounting of their permissions fees and I was OK to pay but they have now had a change of heart and have waived the fees altogether.

For info, their really good collection of photos is here - http://digital.nls.uk/first-world-war-official-photographs/pageturner.cfm?id=74462370

Great news for you John from the NLS. it seems absurd that the IWM photos can be bandied around all over the Internet for everyone to see and can be downloaded by anyone but you can't put them in a book!

• 1 year later...

Having today just received a quote of £691 from the IWM for twelve photos (half page/less than 2,000 print run/one-year licence UK only/Kindle/one image to be used on front cover) I don't think I'll be availing myself! I might have coughed up £450, but £691 seems a little excessive, especially when £90 of that quote was to allow me download these 12 pictures off their cloud. (I know they say every cloud has a silver lining, but at that price the IWM one must be solid gold!!)

I appreciate they are under great financial pressure, albeit in part self-inflicted.I would have happily used more of their photos in my two books if their charges had been more reasonable. They don't seem to appreciate how little authors are paid for small print run speciailist books. It's as if they are only interested in selling the same old stuff to the large print run rehashes. Instead, I have used largely private collections, including my son's and my own, and the much more reasonable Surrey History Centre.

Michael