Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWM photo collection - charges for use in books

John_Hartley

I'm writing another book and it looks increasingly likely I'll have to self-publish (actually I'd buy the services of Reveille Press rather than do everything myself). As such, I have something of a need to keep costs down - the public sector pension isnt quite as generous as the Daily Mail would have you believe.

Unlike the national collections in Australia and Canada, the IWM charges for commercial use of photos. What I can't find on its website is how much they charge - they state it can vary depending on print run of the book, how big the photos will be on the page, etc. I'd appreciate advice from any other authors abouts costs.

Along the same lines, the National Library of Scotland has a goodly number of images and I could use them instead of IWM if it was more cost effective. Any ideas about costs there?

Of course, it may all mean I have to resort to just using Australian and Canadian images which would be a shame as the book mainly reflects the British experience.

TIA

John

22 images for a total print run of <2,000 & world-wide licence cost me a tadge over £700. That includes VAT.

Nick

Agree. Explain low print run and grovel a bit. Worked for me in 2002 but only seven photos needed.

Are you sure re Australua and Canada sites?

Bernard

So far, I'm as sure as I can be, Bernard. Can't see anything on either of their websites that restrict usage - unlike, say the National Library of Scotland which I'd originally thought wouild be OK but then I found a link which said that there were charges for commercial use.

What I certanly can't afford is anything like the amount Nick quotes above. It would make the whole exercise impossible.

I got the use of several IWM photos for my books for the costs of the original prints. I emailed them, told them that number of copies of the book to be printed would be less than 1,000 (and probably less than 500) and they gave me permission.

I'd agree with all of the contributions above about contacting direct & seeing what they say. I'd be wary about assuming that the Australian & Canadian organisations don't charge. The Australian National Archives, for example, do charge. Again, it would be worth the cost of a phone call.

Nick

Damn!

Nick's post prompted me to have a more detailed look at the Australian War Memorial website. Whilst it is clear that they are clear that the photos are out of copyright, they still charge for commercial usage at $15 (approx £8) per photo.

It does sound as if there is no clear statement of what the situation is - more a case of write or 'phone and some one will make up a policy as they go.

Oz gave me a speedy OK to use service record images for a named man. Gratis.

Bernard

Regimental collections may be cheaper-they may appreciate the publicity.TNA is very generous about allowing extensive quoting from their docs. but can be expensive for reproduction of them. Maps in the Official Histories, which were Crown Copyright, should be copyright expired.

Collections you use frequently require a free copy of you book as an additional expense to budget for.

Michael

Oz gave me a speedy OK to use service record images for a named man. Gratis.

Bernard

I think the Americans have a similar guy of Italian extraction called Bono Publicas

22 images for a total print run of <2,000 & world-wide licence cost me a tadge over £700. That includes VAT.

Just got the quote from IWM and it reflects the sort of pricing Nick mentions. Completely unaffordable for me, unfortunately. May put the complete mockers on the project if I can't get decent cheap images from elsewhere. Not the way I'd hoped to be starting 2014. :(

It's a shame that some of the funding for the Centenary couldn't have been used to allow the IWM to permit its photo-library to be used free of charge in small print-run publications (say under 1,000 copies). This would've encouraged more amateur and local-historians tom put their research into print.

It's a shame that some of the funding for the Centenary couldn't have been used to allow the IWM to permit its photo-library to be used free of charge in small print-run publications (say under 1,000 copies). This would've encouraged more amateur and local-historians tom put their research into print.

I couldn't agree more.

They need all the money for the photo calls.

Keith

They did it for me twice in 2006 and 2008. Only paid the costs of the prints. Gentleman at the IWM authorised free use as the books sales were unlikely to exceed 500.

A degree of progress, Roxy. Canadian National Archives confirm I can use their images, without charge.

(Edit: And so does the Australian War Memorial. Both involving low-res images, which I've printed out and they seem OK. Both would charge for high-res images. Now, if I keep my fingers crossed, the National Library of Scotland will be in their camp and not IWM's.)

I'm writing another book and it looks increasingly likely I'll have to self-publish (actually I'd buy the services of Reveille Press rather than do everything myself). As such, I have something of a need to keep costs down - the public sector pension isnt quite as generous as the Daily Mail would have you believe.

Unlike the national collections in Australia and Canada, the IWM charges for commercial use of photos. What I can't find on its website is how much they charge - they state it can vary depending on print run of the book, how big the photos will be on the page, etc. I'd appreciate advice from any other authors abouts costs.

Along the same lines, the National Library of Scotland has a goodly number of images and I could use them instead of IWM if it was more cost effective. Any ideas about costs there?

Of course, it may all mean I have to resort to just using Australian and Canadian images which would be a shame as the book mainly reflects the British experience.

TIA

John

John what type of images are you after? I have quite a few.