Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20 Battalion Machine Gun Corps 1918

reeves_colin

Hello

Can anyone help me with the events and location of 20 Battalion MGC around 20th May 1918?

My Great Grandfather was gassed whilst with this battalion on 20th May

All info appreciated as always

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

From Inglefield's History of the Twentieth (Light) Division ...

20th (Light) Division took over the Lens/Avion Sector on 03 May 1918 from 3rd Canadian Division. They remained there for four months until 08 Oct 1918.

In the early stages of this tour, in May certainly, the division's focus was on preventing enemy breakthrough along the River Souchez as part of the anticipated German counter-attack on Vimy Ridge, which never materialised of course.

The principal defensive bastions were on Hirondelle Ridge and Hill 65 either side of the river, with an outpost line ahead.

There's no mention of enemy gas attacks in May, but there were two successful gas discharges by the British.

Incidentally I can recommend Inglefield - you will find it an excellent overview of your great grandfather's experiences with the division before he was wounded.

HTH

Mark

Mark

Thank you for your information..

I will definately look up a copy of the book..

Double checking through my Great Grandfathers service record, he returned to FRANCE from England on 27 Nov 1917, and joined 59 Company on 3 Dec 1917

He was injured on 2 Jan 1918 and was in 11 CCS at Godewaersvelde. He returned to 59 Company on 19 Jan 1918.

I believe that 59 Company moved to 20 Battalion MGC on 15 March 1918.

He was 'gassed' on or around the 29th May 1918 and was admitted to 62 FA, 57 CCS (West Riding) then 42 Sty Hospital Carniers.

This was the end of his service in France, as he returned to England on 5 Jun 1918.

It appears that he may only have been with 20th (Light) Division from Dec 1917 Until May 1918.

He later served with the 8th Battalion MGC in North Russia and India before being discharged in 1921

I look forward to reading about the 20th (Light) Division) section of his service soon.

Thnk you agian for your time and information

Colin

59 Company were the MGC machine gun company attached to 59 Brigade in 20th (Light) Division.

In March 1918, the 20th (Light) Division's brigade MGC companies (59th, 60th, 61st) and the divisional MGC company (217th) were merged to form the 20th MGC Battalion.

Going further back, the brigade MGC companies had been formed from the battalion MG sections in March 1916, but that pre-dates James Sheppard's posting into 20th Division from the MGC Base Depot.