Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pete Wood

Civilian casualties who are not listed by CWGC

johnboy

What was the youngster doing visiting his father and was anyone else with him?

Marilyne

Good question...

I've been thinking ever since we breached the subject... maybe I'm thinking too much like a soldier and not enough like a parent (which I'm not, figures...) but... I get the whole "bring your kid to work day" but you don't bring your kid over in a war zone... even if the war's done... when my Dad was on his second tour with ECMM in Yugoslavia, he spared all his free days to have them coincide with our Easter holiday and Mum, Sister and I flew down to Split for two weeks ... technically this could be the same situation... but still... Split 1996 was not the Western Front 1919!

Magnumbellum told us that "his father was there as a soldier" ... which means he was not on an outing looking for the grave of his father ... again, I definitely don't think any mother would take her kid with her on a quest like that...

Would be interesting to know whether there were more cases... if more soldiers had their family come over for "visit".

M.

johnboy

I seem to remember seeing letters giving a train pass to a wife or mother to visit their son/husband in hospital, I assume the wounded man must have been in a serious condition, I think this was early in the war.

Marilyne

Allowing a mother or a wife to visit a seriously wounded soldier before he dies was, I believe, quite common, pending the hospital he was in was way behind the lines - Boulogne, Calais, Etaples etc... but this seems to be a whole other story. The father did not die... there is no other Leng in the CWGC database that would fit that theory. 

I guess it'll remain a mystery...

M.

Marilyne

Waow!! 

Thank so much for these references !! It sure explains a lot! 

M.