Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pete Wood

Civilian casualties who are not listed by CWGC

Guest Pete Wood

The CWGC does not allow civilian casualties of the Great War to appear on its register, whereas WW2 casualties are remembered. I would like to start a list, commemorating those who died, or were killed, as a direct result of the war.

Chris Baker has kindly agreed to move this into the new National Projects section.

The list would include civilians (male or female) who died in, for example:

Air Raid
Coastal bombardment
Passenger of a ship sunk by mine, U-boat, or enemy destroyer etc
Auxilliaries who were working in military hospitals, and died.
Voluntary services, working with the forces, but not recognised on the CWGC register.
Accidentally killed in a road accident involving a military vehicle etc.
This could also include servicemen who were discharged during 1914-1918, in order that they could be hanged for crime etc.

I would also like to hear of people who were injured, but survived.

While I would like to concentrate on British (commonwealth) citizens, I would be happy to hear of other nationalities which prove useful to US, French, and German (etc) members who might like to start a similar project.

I would require as much, if not more, information as found on the CWGC register:

Name
Job title (where applicable eg Nurse, Infant etc)
Place of burial (if known and/or applicable)
Circumstances of death.
Other details as known.

Post away, please.

Pete

Guest Pete Wood

To kick off....

Martha Taylor

Aged 72

Spinster

Date of death 19.1.15

Buried in Holy Trinity Cemetery, Caister-on-Sea

Buried next to her twin sister, Jane Eliza.

First civilian casualty of an airship raid (L3)

Killed at her home in St Peter's Square, Great Yarmouth, when returning from the grocers.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

This is close to my heart - details to follow - if there is anyway I can help, please let me know.

Ian

Northern Soul

George Frearson

Private in the 2nd (Volunteer) Battalion, King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regiment

Died March 1917

Buried in Egton (St. Mary) Churchyard, Cumbria

Commemorated on the Egton (St. Mary) Church War Memorial, Egton-cum-Newland, Cumbria.

Will provide more details after some searching.

Andy.

jemimajane

A very good idea.

I will look out the details of my father's cousin who died in a Zeppelin raid on London (September 1915) - I've got a copy of the death certificate somewhere..... :unsure:

HERITAGE PLUS

Pete

On 13 June 1917 a German Bomb killed 18 children in their school at Poplar, East London. This is a photo of the memorial which was raised by public subscription.

Sorry I have no details of names.

Dave

markl

Found this whilst surfing:

Name :Edwin Thomas Scuse

Next of Kin : Wife Caroline

Job title (where applicable eg Nurse, Infant etc)

Place of burial (if known and/or applicable)

Circumstances of death: He was killed in London during the first World War by a German bomb outside the General Post Office

Other details as known : see http://www.ledwinhall.care4free.net/scuse.html

markl

More surfing !

Sad details of the children killed as mentioned in Dave's post above.

Louise Annie Acampora (5)

Alfred Ernest Batt (5)

Leonard Charles Barford (5)

John Percy Brennan (5)

William Thomas Henry Challen (4)

Alice Maud Cross (5)

William Hollis (5)

George Albert Hyde (5)

Grace Jones (5)

Rose Martin (11)

George Morris (6)

Edwin Cecil William Powell (12)

Robert Stimson (5)

Elizabeth Taylor (5)

Rose Tuffin (5)

Frank Winfield (5)

Florence Lilian Wood (5)

More details at http://www.ppu.org.uk/peacematters/pm2002/pm2002_93.html

Myrtle

7th March 1918 twelve people in Maida Vale were killed when a bomb was dropped from a German Gotha. Five large houses in Warrington Crescent were destroyed. Among those killed was Mrs Lena Ford who wrote the words for "Till the Boys Come Home" and her son Walter. It's thought that the bomb,which is said to have been the largest to have landed on London during WW1, was aimed at the searchlights that had been set up on Paddington Recreation Ground.

23 people were injured.

Myrtle

19th May 1918 another bomb landed on The Carlton Tavern, Carlton Vale, Maida Vale, killing the landlord and his son.

HERITAGE PLUS

The Poplar Memorial was designed by A.R.Adams and is approx. 10 ft. high.

shinglma

RT

I think this is a great idea - hope I can assist. How do we go about collating the information? I know of a few from secondary sources but hopefully we could determine a methodology for this?

Kind regards

Mike s

Guest Pete Wood

If people post what they know, or have found, on this thread, I believe it will be possible to confirm/add/delete information.

But I am open to suggestions if anyone has better ideas. :)

Myrtle

May be worth checking "A Glint in the Sky" by Martin Easdown & Thomaas Genth, Pen & Sword for more about the Folkestone Raid.

chrisharley9
A really excellent, well researched web page about the air raid on Folkestone, 25th May 1917.

Who were the Canadian troops killed...??

Have complied this from the Canadian Virtual War Memorial. All are buried at Shorncliffe Mil Cemetery

342862 Gnr Brown, William CFA Reserve Bde

2085320 Gnr Bruce, James Alexander CFA Reserve Bde Age 21

1250216 Gnr Desaleux, Jules Benjamin Alfred 76th Bty CFA Reserve Bde Age 29

922065 LCpl Doig, Arthur 200th Bn Canadian Inf (Central Ontairio Regt) Age 24

273124 CQMS Jenner, Oron Alfred 3rd Reserve Bn Canadian Inf (Central Ontairio Regt) Age 26

922836 Pte MacDonald, Robert 200th Bn Canadian Inf (Central Ontairio Regt) Age 19

922562 Pte McArthur, James 200th Bn Canadian Inf (Central Ontairio Regt)

922225 Pte McNair, Hugh Canadian Inf (Central Ontairio Regt)

1251128 Gnr McNulty, James Desmond CFA Reserve Bde Age 25

875090 Pte Merchant, Albert William Canadian Inf (Western Ontairio Regt)

922556 Pte Padley, Frank 11th Bn Canadian Inf (Central Ontairio Regt) Age 24

922514 Pte Pelluet, Ralph 11th Bn Canadian Inf (Central Ontairio Regt)

922299 Pte Sutherland, John 200th Bn Canadian Inf (Central Ontairio Regt) Age 31

continued below

chrisharley9

922331 Pte Tennyson, Ernest 200th Bn Canadian Inf (Central Ontairio Regt)

226191 Pte Yeo, Lloyd Garfield Canadian Reserve Cav Regt

All the 15 above died on 25/5/1917

The following 2 soldiers died on 26/5/1917

2085324 Gnr Arbuckle, Bert CFA Reserve Bde Age 38

875420 Pte Marshall, Charles 184th Bn 200th Bn Canadian Inf (Western Ontairio Regt)

All The Best

Chris

Jonathan Saunders
A really excellent, well researched web page about the air raid on Folkestone, 25th May 1917.

It might be worth contacting Jim Strawbridge whose primary interest is women that served in some capacity during WW1 - he might have info on civilian workers that died as a direct result of the war.

A little more info than you requested but you might be interested in these newspaper articles I have amongst my notes that concern the death of Mrs Elizabeth Maxted in the Folkestone Air Raid of May 1917.

CHATHAM, ROCHESTER & GILLIGNHAM NEWS, 2 June 1917:

"Among the victims of the recent air raid at Folkestone was Mrs Maxted, the eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs J. Kitney of Shakespeare Road, Rainham (Kent). The deceased, who was 31 years of age, was the wife of Mr J. Maxted, butcher, of Dover Road, Folkestone. As no bodily injuries were sustained the deceased had evidently died suddenly of shock."

.. and a little more detailed including mention of an unknown sister-in-law that lost both legs in this raid ...

EAST KENT GAZETTE, 2 June 1917:

"One of the victims of the German air attack on Folkestone on Friday in last week, was a Rainham woman. This was Mrs Elizabeth Maxted, the wife of Mr Maxted , the manager of a butcher’s shop in Dover Street, owned by Mr Scott. Mrs Maxted, who was 31, was a daughter of Mr and Mrs James Kitney of 27 Shakespeare Road, Rainham. Accompanied by a married sister, Mrs Lilian Smith, and her little boy aged 5 years, Mrs Maxted had just come out of a draper’s shop in Tontine Street when the bombs began to drop. The sister caught hold of the boy and ran away telling Mrs Maxted to do the same. She looked back to see if her sister was following when a bomb exploded near the poor woman, who shouted “Oh”, and was killed instantly. The relatives saw the body of the deceased in the mortuary on the following day, and on the following day another sister came up from Folkestone and broke the terrible news to her parents. Mr Maxted's’ place of business is not far from where his wife was killed. The deceased was buried on Wednesday and the father and mother went to Folkestone for the sad ceremony. Mr Maxted had a sister-in-law who had both legs blown off in the terrible affair. Mr and Mrs Kitney’s five daughters all lived in Folkestone, and Mr Kitney has for years been employed at the Rainham Waterworks."

Am I right in assuming the accumulated info will eventually be available via the mother-site? (There was a munitions explosion that killed a reported 105 workers in Faversham in April 1916 that would interest me).

Jonathan Saunders

Two more that may be of interest.

1) Ida Barton, aged 9, was killed when playing in her garden at the time HMS Princess Irene blew up in July 1915, from an internal explosion (believed faulty mine - she was a minelayer and 500 mines had just been primed). Ida was struck on the head by a metal plate that had been blown from the "Irene".

2) A Mrs Mary Longley died in an air raid although I cant find my original note and the date of the newspaper entry. I believe she was a member of the Rainham (Kent) Longley family (the family had run a nursery since the early 1800's and were world renowned for their roses, by Royal Appointment etc.)

Tom Morgan

Civilian victims of the Zeppelin raid on Wednesbury, 31st January, 1916:

Mary Ann Lee (59)

Rachel Higgs (36)

Frank Thompson Linney (36)

Susan Howells (30)

Matilda Mary Bart (10)

Joseph Horton Smith (37)

Ina Smith (7)

Nellie Smith (13)

Thomas Horton Smith (11)

Mary Emma Evans (5)

Edward Shilton(33)

Betsey Shilton (39)

Albert Gordon Madeley (21)

Charles Cope

Rebecca Suton

Tom

healdav

it's a bit strange that the CWGC should take this attitude to WW!. Anyone know why it is?

The French ARMY casualty site has civilian deaths caused directly by the Germans listed. Unfortunately, the only way to interrogate the database is by name, which means you need to know the answer before you ask the question. However, if you do get there you get a copy of the death certificate.

The reason for death is often shown as, 'shot by the Germans', 'bayoneted by the Germans', etc. and, of course most seem to date from 1914. Difficult to know whether this applies to all as you have to know the name... or find it by mistake.

Bu it's interesting. Good luck with the project. If you come across anyone with a Luxembourg connection, could I ask for details, please. I'm trying to do an inventory of them.

Guest Pete Wood
it's a bit strange that the CWGC should take this attitude to WW!. Anyone know why it is?

I don't think there was any malicious, or uncaring intentions here. There simply wasn't a department set up to record and report civilian deaths (as a result of war) in the UK in the Great War.

The CWGC's understandable requirements for 'proof' would require death certificates for the thousands (yes that's right) of casualties, which would not be feasible - unless someone can help me pull off a deal with the GRO......