Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Simeon Haigh

marshdeen

Hi

I have been researching for a Book of Remembrance for the soldiers who died in WW1 and remembered on a plaque in my village church. (I have already posted on another thread and had some very useful replies). I have found a burial in the burial register for the above named soldier but the grave doesn't have a headstone. His date of death is recorded as 26th November 1918 and the family address as 4 Lockwood Fold, which corresponds to the details listed in the military records for Simeon Haigh Regimental Number 60734 of The Leicester Regiment. On Ancestry his death is recorded as Patrington 9d 765 Oct/Nov/Dec 1918. The grave is recorded in the burial register at the church as holding Martha Jane Haigh, Winfred Haigh and Mary Ann Haigh as well as Simeon Haigh.

I can't find Simeon Haigh on CWG website. What do I now do or who do I contact to see if he could have a gravestone please? I don't have any further information about him except that he had a brother George Haigh who also died in WW1 and a brother Beaumont Haigh who served in WW1. This may seem a little disjointed but I do not have much military knowledge and am learning a lot of interesting facts from this project about the harsh life that these families lived and would like to help in any way that may keep us aware of the great sacrifice that they made.

16 pages of service documents for him under Semeon Haigh, sadly I'm viewing them on iPod so difficult to me to read at present but they appear to contain enough information

Jon

Simeon Haigh's service papers indicate that he was admitted to a home based MilitaryHospital (who's name I cannot quite read)

suffering from Myliga and Pneumonia spending 23 days there up to 22/11/18

He died at on the 22/11/18

Initially it appears that his death at home is not attributable to his war service

and therefore he is unlikely to qualify for inclusion on the CWGC register

I am sure the In from the cold project will advise further

regards Ray

Hi

Thank you for your replies.

I have found his war records on Ancestry under Semeon Haigh and also had difficulty reading them. Whoever compiled the plaque in the church must have thought that he died as a result of the war because he appears in the section marked "Killed" and the inscription reads " The names of those who have been connected with .... who have given their lives for their country". He is the only WW1 soldier buried in our graveyard, all the other ones I have found are memorials with no entry in the burial registry. It seems so sad that he doesn't have any recognition.

He appears to have been in service at the time of his death so if this is the case he should have CWGC status

I will discuss this one with Terry Denham at IFCP & will let you know how to proceed

Chris

As this is an in service death & his service docs reflect this then the case will go through. All we will need is the burial register page if you can supply that please

Also will need your name as submitting volunteer

Chris

Hi

Thank you very much. I will get a photo of burial register this weekend and let you have it. I have left a message at the' In from the cold' website. My name is Judith Pattinson.

Hi Judith and welcome. I'm so pleased that you seem to have found another home death not commemorated. You have joined an exclusive club - and I warn you, it's addictive. You might want to tip the nod to the local newspaper?

Hi everyone
I now have a photograph of the entry in the burial register for Simeon Haigh but don't know how to attach it. I don't understand the help notes on images. The photograph is at the moment stored on my computer on the hard drive and also on a USB stick. HELP please!!!

Judith, I suspect that the image is too large to upload to the forum. Resize the image to 250 kb or less and this should sort it out

Jon

• Admin

Hi everyone

I now have a photograph of the entry in the burial register for Simeon Haigh but don't know how to attach it. I don't understand the help notes on images. The photograph is at the moment stored on my computer on the hard drive and also on a USB stick. HELP please!!!

I think you need to send it to the IFCP via their website rather than post it here.

Ken

Hi again

I have tried to upload it to IFCP but no success so I have asked if I can E-Mail it as an attachment to anyone who can help. I have lifted the photograph onto a Word Doc if that will help.

A Happy Christmas to you all

Hi everyone

I now have a photograph of the entry in the burial register for Simeon Haigh but don't know how to attach it.

No need.

Send a personal message to Chris Harley and I'm sure he'll give you his email address so you can send it to him directly.