Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Findmypast - new records released

Sepoy

Findmypast have just released the Royal Tank Corps enlistment records for 1919 to 1934. Although post World War One it will include re-enlisting WW1 Veterans.

Amongst those included is Thomas Edward Shaw.

Army Number 7875698 Shaw Thomas Edward enlisted at Whitehall on 12th March, 1923 aged 28 and 209 days. His trade on enlistment was given as a clerk. Shaw's place of birth was given as Tremadoc and his next of kin shown as a Ms Richards (Cousin) from Chingford, Essex.

He is shown as transferring the the RAF on 19th August, 1925 numbered 338171.

There is no need to add details of his World War One service. The above records simply have "alias Lawrence" written against his name.

Sepoy

Just a heads up for this set of records that's just been added to the FMP site.

Info from site:

Over 88,000 soldiers are recorded

No officers are included, these are other ranks soldiers

The records cover men who enlisted between 1919 and 1934. The enlistments are either: transfers from the Dragoons, Hussars, Lancers or Machine Gun Corps, direct enlistments and re-enlistments

25% of these soldiers were already part of the British Army and details of previous service are included the earliest enlistment weve found was in 1875

Information about a soldiers First World War or Boer War service is often included

Discharges and dates soldiers were killed in action are sometimes also included the latest weve found was in 1951

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-united-kingdom-records/military-armed-forces-and-conflict/royal-tank-corps-enlistment-records-1919-1934

At the moment the images seem to be free to view.

Mick.

Thanks Mick

I suspect that quite a proportion of these records would relate to men in the Armoured Car Companies, most of which were deployed in India. I refer to my post on this Forum earlier this year called “Armoured Car Companies in India 1915-1939: MGC and RTC”

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192390

Cheers

Maureen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I conducted a quick search and a brief look about, but this does not appear to have been previously mentioned anywhere.

Findmypast have just launched the publication of 100 new record sets with the next 100 days

Over the next 100 days we will release new records every week with millions of new names and showcasing some of our recently added collections. You will find record sets from all around the world, including parish records, military records and many others besides.

You’ll have more records to explore than ever before starting with our Pals Battalions.

We’ve collected records from across the UK, including Birmingham, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Salford and the South Downs. Compiled from contemporary publications, they include details not found in medal rolls or service records

These young men, mostly educated, white collar workers, signed up in 1914 in the first excitement of Kitchener’s ‘Your Country Needs You’ campaign. For many, the first action they saw was at the Somme. The Pals signed up together, fought together and in many cases, died together.

Find out whether your relatives were among them in our Pals Battalion collection, the most extensive online collection available.

I have only had a brief look and the amount of detail does vary but these records may be of use.

Sepoy

Any clue as to exactly what records they're launching? I assume that, as they are starting with pals battalions, then it's something regiment based - but I'd have thought that was all pretty much available already, either via the NA or Ancestry.

Hi All

This is what their WEB page is claiming for one of the new record sets.

Paul

The amount of information listed varies, but the Royal Sussex Regiment, Southdown Battalions records usually include a combination of the following information about your ancestor:

Service history

• Name

• Soldier Number

• Regiment

• Battalion

• Rank

Entering a man’s name will enable you to identify which battalion a man served with. This information is generally not included on medal index cards.

Each record includes a transcript compiled using information obtained from sources including medal index cards, service records and Soldiers Died in the Great War.

I conducted a quick search and a brief look about, but this does not appear to have been previously mentioned anywhere.

Findmypast have just launched the publication of 100 new record sets with the next 100 days

Over the next 100 days we will release new records every week with millions of new names and showcasing some of our recently added collections. You will find record sets from all around the world, including parish records, military records and many others besides.

You’ll have more records to explore than ever before starting with our Pals Battalions.

We’ve collected records from across the UK, including Birmingham, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Salford and the South Downs. Compiled from contemporary publications, they include details not found in medal rolls or service records

These young men, mostly educated, white collar workers, signed up in 1914 in the first excitement of Kitchener’s ‘Your Country Needs You’ campaign. For many, the first action they saw was at the Somme. The Pals signed up together, fought together and in many cases, died together.

Find out whether your relatives were among them in our Pals Battalion collection, the most extensive online collection available.

I have only had a brief look and the amount of detail does vary but these records may be of use.

Sepoy

Bearing in mind that neither of the Edinburgh City battalions were ever known as the 'Edinburgh Pals', FMP are not getting off to a very good start.

I wonder if they have got their periods mixed up - 100 days - sound a bit Napoleonic to me !!!

Paul

The new interface and presentation is absolutely awful. I have set a reminder in my diary to decide whether to renew, and have told them so. truly awful.

Keith

Findmypast have released something really useful, which may make it well worth struggling on with their new search engine.

As part of their 100 records sets in 100 days, they have now released the following National Archives records covering:-
ADM 188 - Royal Naval Seaman
ADM 196 - Royal Naval Officers
ADM 159 - Royal Marines Other Ranks

It appears that these records only cover entry dates between 1899 and 1919, so they do not cover the full date range of these ADM records available via the National Archives on-line services.

Sepoy

Findmypast.........may make it well worth struggling on with their new search engine.

Sepoy

Glad it's not just me!!

Kath.

Personally, I find Ancestry's new search engine even worse! I find it utterly frustrating trying to carry out a simple Medal Index Card search, because it completely ignores an exact search using a Regimental/Service number - really useful when searching A Smith in the RA!

What is wrong with the Ancestry/Findmypast/London Gazette - their "New" search engines are awful and not fit for purpose. Classic cases of "if it works - break it".

Sepoy

NB I should also add the National Archive's Discovery search engine to my moan!

Ancestry's MIC search not properly delivering "exact" searches is a pain. I know Mike (skipman) has reported it. I have too. But all to no avail. I have a call with Ancestry about something else next week, and I will mention it.

Well you'll be pleased to learn that this FMP release doesn't work with searching service numbers either, or at least it didn't yesterday.

FMP have made such a hash of everything with their 'improvements' I've taken to creating my own card index using favorites linking to each individual record set. Still haven't worked out how to identify WO96, WO97 and WO121 files now they've mashed them together. I do the same for Ancestry too.

As I've said on another forum, it's really ironic that we're getting increasing amounts of data put on the web where we can access it but the tools that are provided are making it increasingly hard to find exactly what it is we're after.

Dare I say it, Discovery does seem to be getting better, and I have just put FMP on hold. I have complained and did receive an individual but useless reply.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

On Findmypast:

British Red Cross Register of Overseas Volunteers, 1914-1918

The British Red Cross Register of Overseas Volunteers contains the details of over 17,000 individuals who served overseas with the British Red Cross during World War 1.

At the start of the war, the British Red Cross joined forces with the Order of St. John Ambulance to create the Joint War Committee to assist with medical care in the field. The register includes men and women who worked with the Voluntary Aid Detachments, Scottish Women’s Hospital, Order of St. John and many more. Women played a significant role during World War 1 through their involvement with these voluntary organisations and evidence of this can be viewed in the records.

Though the level of detail can vary, the register tends to list each volunteer’s name, title, rank, certificate number, department, destination – where stationed overseas – and passport number.

CGM

LINK

If you have trouble with the link go to

Search all records

A-Z

Start to type in British Red Cross Register of Overseas Volunteers, 1914-1918

I'm not a member of FindMyPast, but just entering a last name in the search popped up some potential relatives and their assignment destination. Terrific!

Thank you for this resource.

Regards,

Mary